Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Y-pies, Collectors, and Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rtv? Explain
Old 03-25-2009, 02:14 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I just had the flowmaster ball and socket connectors put on mine.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That looks awesome. Really glad that worked out for you.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:27 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

thanks, im about to update that thread with pics of what is now just for thread closure
Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooder5.3
rtv? Explain
You put a coating of the high temp rtv on the pipes where they slip together, and it helps to fill any possible gaps that there might be, allowing for a leak free seal. I used it on my SW y-pipe and so far so good. I also used it on my Gibson shorties, on both sides of the gaskets where the header mounts to the head, that came with them...(this was before I found out that I was better off with a set of factory gaskets), but they lasted 5 years without a leak and were working fine when I removed them.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
You put a coating of the high temp rtv on the pipes where they slip together, and it helps to fill any possible gaps that there might be, allowing for a leak free seal. I used it on my SW y-pipe and so far so good. I also used it on my Gibson shorties, on both sides of the gaskets where the header mounts to the head, that came with them...(this was before I found out that I was better off with a set of factory gaskets), but they lasted 5 years without a leak and were working fine when I removed them.
I've read that stuff isn't good for 02 sensors (even the supposed 02's sensor safe stuff)
Old 03-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is what V=bands look like. I welded one to the header and one to the pipe..

Header side

Pipe side

VBand

Old 03-25-2009, 11:44 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I've read that stuff isn't good for 02 sensors (even the supposed 02's sensor safe stuff)
You just have to be careful with it and don't glob it on like an animal, I'm sure that just about any foreign chemicals/sealants/ect. can be harmful to O2 sensors in excessive amounts. I've been lucky so far...

I like your header/collector set up BlackGMC, I've been impressed with since you first posted pics. If I ever got some sort of flanges it would probably have to be v-bands due to space constraints with the cats. They've been leak free so far?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:49 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Here's some pics and you can see where I used some of the high temp RTV. It contains copper and comes out of the tube looking orange. IIRC, the area where the RTV as applied is past the O2 sensors (well, past the front, most important ones at least)...

Old 03-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I like your header/collector set up BlackGMC, I've been impressed with since you first posted pics. If I ever got some sort of flanges it would probably have to be v-bands due to space constraints with the cats. They've been leak free so far?
Nope they have never leaked, i put a very very light coat of high temp rtv on the mating surfaces too...

Another option that i used is the 3 bolt flanges double up... So you take 2 three bolt flanges and weld them together to make 1 think *** flange, Weld them inside and out, then but a alumium gasket inbetween... No leaks there either and alot cheaper...

here is a pic. notice how thick that flanges is... The problem with the 3bolt flanges is they warp when you torque them down, doubled up they don't warp at all!!!

flange welded and grinded smooth.

Quick Reply: Y-pies, Collectors, and Mufflers