Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Y pipe fabrication "challenges"??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y pipe fabrication "challenges"??

Ok guys, put in the driver's side header last night so I could see what I was in for with this Y fabrication. Remember I'm wanting to make the legs of the Y pipe go on each side of the trans and then over to the Y merge on the passenger side after getting past the tranny, like the first picture. here's my deal, from the end of the collector to he face of the trans cross member I have 12". I want to bring the pipes above the trans cross member on each side. The collector doesn't exactly point right to that opening either, so I may have to put a slight curve there to get it to go through that space.

Here's where it gets fun. I still need cats, so I want to put them as far forward as possible. I think if I put together a little curve to bring me through the space above the cross member I should be ok. I'm going to guess that will take up at least 6" of my space between the collector outlet and the cross member. But you can see in both the 1st and 2nd picture that there are the fuel lines that run above that drivers side. I'd like to get my cats in before those so I don't have to worry about bringing the cats through that opening vs. bringing a smaller 3" pipe through there. I'm just not sure I'll have the room. You can see in that last picture (aside from a new tranny) the cross member was actually moved leaving plenty of room, not possible in my case. I figure worst case I'll have to wrap those fuel lines in heat shield tape if the cat is too close. I know some of you guys have done this, Greggo, .T., bluecajun5.3, FarmerBeau. Thoughts?

Andrew

BigKid's

bluecajun5.3's

moregrip's
Old 06-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine's not behind the X-member but it flows very well and works perfect... I think you squeeze the cats in where I have my cutouts...

there's more pics on page 2 of my photobucket if you wanna check it out.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:56 AM
.T.
TECH Resident

I had to contend with the transfer case too. I'm also running true duals. The drvrs side runs from the collector to the front face of the tranny crossmember and turns accross it:

Then over the crossmember to the first cat:

The other cat is set further down the line on the outer psgr side to 'balance' the cat distance as much as possble before the X-pipe:

Mine is re-wired but there's no interference with the fuel lines at all.
Hope this helps ya.
Teddy
Old 06-06-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

How do you get the Y out now without taking off the crossmember. Not that I'll have to do it, but that's why I was doing part of this, trying to save that hassle and make the pan removal easier in the process.

No clear answers. Looks like I have some more pondering to do while laying under the truck.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

i will take pics of my set-up so far. i am going true dual, but it may help you get an idea. i am routing everything in front of the tranny crossmember. however, i need to remove it to put in the exhaust, no big deal really.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

heres some pics. i got more if anyone is interested.
http://www.msnusers.com/blktruck
Old 06-06-2006, 12:21 PM
11 Second Truck Club

how about running only one cat before the muffler? just an idea.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

don't think it'll pass inspection that way.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:26 PM
11 Second Truck Club

that's true, you both are in NY.
good for me, no insp. in FL, haha
Old 06-06-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

lucky you.. yeah thats why were goin through all this trouble just for LT's. but in the end it'll be all worth it.

Quick Reply: Y pipe fabrication "challenges"??