Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

...and yet another exhaust question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...and yet another exhaust question...

I did a search on FloPro mufflers here on the forum and it seems those of you who do have them like them. I've noticed the same thing about Magnaflows.

I got burned on a Magnaflow on my last truck, a '99 ECSB with the 5.3. It was recommended by a few muffler shops so I decided to go that route. It was the worst thing I ever spent my money on. It was loudest at the cruising range 1600 to 2300 rpm. After 2 weeks I yanked that thing off and had a Dynomax Super turbo installed. It had a more muffled tone, but cruising at 75 and 80 you still needed to turn the radio down to carry on a conversation.

Now, I've got an '04 2500 non HD crewcab (same as 1500HD) with the 6.0 and a Westers' tune and I want a little growl when I get on the loud pedal. I really want the Corsa, but they don't make one for the 2500 or 1500HD, (but I did put the dual tip on). I've been perusing the forum for a while and seem to leaning toward the Flo Pro 2503, it's a dual in / single out.

Do any of you guys with the FloPro get any interior resonance? I think it's an age thing, at 41 loud is as cool as it used to be when I was in my 20's. I want something that doesn't make itself known until I get on it, and I don't want any drone when I tow.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Veteran

I think you may be outta luck then dude. I mean, in my experience, the magnaflows are about the quietest out there. I can't speak on the flo-pro's, I have never heard one, but maybe Gibson or something. Honestly, I had magnaflow's, flowmasters, dynomax bullets and this is about it. But the magnaflows had about the least resonance. Do you know which magnaflow you had. Different sizes will produce different results. Also might want to look into the edelbrock mufflers too.

Oh and the corsa system is loud. At least the ones that I have heard. lol.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Launching!

I really don't know which Magnaflow was on my other truck, but it probably was one of the shorter ones, a single 3" in and single 3" out. It was fine above and below the that rpm range, but I found myself driving 85 mph all the time on the freeway to eliminate the droning.

I do know that the Corsa set-up for the Corvettes are pretty loud. I checked out at truck at a dealership that had a Joe Gibbs treatment on it and took it for a drive. The sound was there, but it was like background noise, barely noticeable at cruising and freeway speeds.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:21 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I have no interior resonance with my FloPro HD (2503). At highway cruising speeds it is more quiet than stock with my 3.73 gears. Around town, from 1500-1800 rpm it is louder than stock, but does not resonate inside the cab. I am rarely in that rpm range for extended periods of time, so it doesn't bother me (I'm 42). You might want to check out how much time you will be spending in that range before you make your mind up.

The fact is that the 6.0 and 8.1 engines are loud and cause resonance, period. Just look what they did with stocker to eliminate that resonance. The FloPro HD is specifically made for these engines. I have no experience with the Magnaflow, so I can't compare the two.

If anyone in my area wants to go for a ride and check it out, shoot me a PM and we'll set something up.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Too bad I live here in Sunny So Cal and not Deep in the Heart of Texas, I'd love to check your ride out. I think I'm gonna go ahead and bite the bullet and try one of these FloPros. I found a place out here that will install it for $90 total. How can I go wrong?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$90? the only place i found them online charges $149+$24 shipping for the 2503 model which is the one that bolts up to the stock HD pipes. Are you sure that's the right muffler?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DanaliHD
$90? the only place i found them online charges $149+$24 shipping for the 2503 model which is the one that bolts up to the stock HD pipes. Are you sure that's the right muffler?
I specifically asked for the 2503 FloPro. $90.00 is what he told me. The best I could find on a web search was $150 plus shipping. I'm heading on down to the muffler shop on Monday when I get back from the river this weekend.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, buy 2 and sell me one, seriously. I want one and there are NO local dealers anywhere near me.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:28 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a magnaflow now, if you are sensative to that sound, then stock might be best for you. I always thought the stock system sounded good personally.

Originally Posted by SS Crew
I did a search on FloPro mufflers here on the forum and it seems those of you who do have them like them. I've noticed the same thing about Magnaflows.

I got burned on a Magnaflow on my last truck, a '99 ECSB with the 5.3. It was recommended by a few muffler shops so I decided to go that route. It was the worst thing I ever spent my money on. It was loudest at the cruising range 1600 to 2300 rpm. After 2 weeks I yanked that thing off and had a Dynomax Super turbo installed. It had a more muffled tone, but cruising at 75 and 80 you still needed to turn the radio down to carry on a conversation.

Now, I've got an '04 2500 non HD crewcab (same as 1500HD) with the 6.0 and a Westers' tune and I want a little growl when I get on the loud pedal. I really want the Corsa, but they don't make one for the 2500 or 1500HD, (but I did put the dual tip on). I've been perusing the forum for a while and seem to leaning toward the Flo Pro 2503, it's a dual in / single out.

Do any of you guys with the FloPro get any interior resonance? I think it's an age thing, at 41 loud is as cool as it used to be when I was in my 20's. I want something that doesn't make itself known until I get on it, and I don't want any drone when I tow.

Thanks in advance for your input.