Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Yet more exhaust questions (sorry kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 10:39 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yet more exhaust questions (sorry kinda long)

Allright, while being stuck at home healing from the surgery on my right shoulder and elbow, I've had waaay too much time to think about my plans for my future 6.0 swap, and I've come up with too many exhaust ideas and now I've confused myself Here's a little background:

I'm gonna be doing an LQ9 with a TR224 and a 3k stall 4L60/65E. Truck is my daily driver, but I like it loud (not straight pipe loud, but big block muscle car loud) I'd like to try and do a set up that I can cut and clamp myself, then maybe take it to be welded since I don't know how to weld (gotta learn that eventually). I'm gonna be killing the cats, but probably cuttin and guttin the factory cats so I can slip them over my setup for NJ state inspection. I can probably reuse the dual tailpipes from my Gibson since they're stainless and in good shape, and I want duals out back (just for asthetics)

I'm gonna get some form of long tubes, whether it be PaceSetters (hopefully they'll be available for 4x4's when I'm ready), or ASM's, or StainlessWorks (if anyone ever figures out if they fit 99-02's)

Original plan was to do true duals with an x-pipe and 2 Hooker AeroChambers. Now I'm starting to think about 1 11" Magnaflow dual in and out, and adapting 6.0 front pipes straight to it. would this muffler kinda serve as an x-pipe and how do you think it would perform and sound? I also thought of Magnaflow's SS cat back system and cutting the front pipes and resonators and adapting it to fit...but it seems like I would be wasting money to buy a new cat-back and hack it up. Plus, it has a 24" muffler and I'm sure that it won't be loud enough for me.

Any benefits to running 1 dual inlet/outlet muffler as opposed to 2 separate mufflers and an x-pipe? Which would perform better and which would be louder?

Sorry for the long post, but I've got cabin fever and I'm dyin to figure this out
Old 09-10-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With running 2 seperate mufflers next to each other I heard that the heat can burn one of them up. Not sure if it is true, but it is just what I heard. Personally, I would go with the dual in dual out magnaflow. Owning a mangnaflow myself, I know it sounds great and the design of thier mufflers are, in my opinion, the best for sound and performance. I cant really give any input on the x-pipe, as I really do not understand what they do.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running two separate mufflers side by side won't burn one up if you leave a 1in. gap between them. The dual in/out Magnaflow had a built-in x-pipe I think, but if you go with 2 separate mufflers you should get an x-pipe; it'll really help balance the flow and help with the scavenging effect.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Screw that bult in X Magna. Just use a Maganflow or Dr. Gas X pipe. Then use some Hookers on there. Make sure you sleeve the cats, dont just gut them. Too much unwanted turbulence gets created in the body of the cat otherwise.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Veteran

I agree about the dual in/out magnaflow. I had one originally before my bullets. Performance was good, but too quiet for my tastes. Had a good sound on WOT, but too quiet. But in that matter, my bullets are to quiet for me. But the dual mufflers that I am running provide great performance, jsut wanting a bit more sound so I am looking at completely re-doing my exhaust soon too.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Silver5.3
Make sure you sleeve the cats, dont just gut them. Too much unwanted turbulence gets created in the body of the cat otherwise.
Yea, the cats are just gonna be for show I plan to slip them over whatever front pipes I run.

Thanks for all the input so far everybody...so the dual Hookers with an x-pipe will provide better performance and sound? The Magnaflow I was looking at is only an 11" muffler...I'm not even sure if it has an x in it. (I just emailed Magnaflow today asking if it does)
Old 09-10-2005, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

You defiantely wont burn up the Hooker mufflers; they're solid steel, unlike magnaflows or any packed muffler. I honestly believe the magnaflow dual in/out X design muffler would offer more performance, there would be no possibility of extra restriction as there might be from adding the hookers behind an x-pipe.

Not to mention the Magnaflow is stainless steel and will last forever, the paint on the hookers will peel from the heat and eventually rust.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

I have an x-pipe w/two hookers and turndowns. Sounds awesome, kinda quiet at idle but scream at WOT. The X-pipe equals out the flow and seemed to help performance on one of my earlier vehicles. I went from an H to an X pipe and seemed to make a pretty big difference. The only thing i experience from an X-pipe is it gives it a cackle effect around 18-2200 rpms. Not a bad sound to me, but annoying to some
Old 09-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

that built in x pipe theory sucks.i had one of them mufflers and it sounded like ***. put in a true x pipe and the aero chambers and that 6.0 will breath.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

As I write this Im gettting Pacesetter LT's, Magnaflow dual in/dual out with built in X-Pipe(pn#14568-5x11 22" polished) installed as well as LS1 fans. The cats are getting completely removed. Im also doing a H-Pipe obviously before the muffler. I love loud exhaust but not all the time on a daily driver thats why I went with this setup plus before I had flow 50 series single in dual out(yuk-even though it sounded pretty good). I can tell you this though Flyer has dual Hooker Aeros and with that 5.3 his truck sounds badass! Its almost a perfect sound for a loud exhaust I dont rememberif he has cats or x-pipe but Im sure he would be more than happy to let you know. Actually search "Flyer" and he has sound clips and his setup. The last time he was over here racing I heard lots of people complimenting his exhaust!

Quick Reply: Yet more exhaust questions (sorry kinda long)