Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

You guys have me worried (disappointed) by the cam swap I was going to do tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You guys have me worried (disappointed) by the cam swap I was going to do tomorrow

You guys have me all worried now after I have been doing some searching here on the forums and reading posts back to spring of '04. I was going to do a Cam swap in my truck tomorrow with the '01 LS6 cam but now I'm starting to have second thoughts. Damn you all . Now from what I'm reading the LS6 cam is in a 4.8 motor and will have sucky low end and not poduce power until about 4,000 on up. Will anyone contest this? Has anyone had any recent personal experience with this? How about a stock vs LS6 dyno sheets to compare? I'm sad because I don't have $400 to spend on a new cam + the cost of springs when I got this whole setup (cam&springs) a lot cheaper than that. Am I wasting my time even trying? I wish instead of every LS6 cam thread turning into a pissing match, that someone would have some positive reviews or information validating their claims. I need some good information by tonight from you guys so I'm not real pissed tomorrow night if I don't like it!!

Please advise,

Thanks,

Joe
Old 09-19-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's going to be a difficult one to get info on as it hasn't been done much on the 4.8L. you'd really have to pm everyone that has done it. i'd think with 3.73's and the 5 speed you should be fine. just going by my experience with the LS6 cam, you won't see any gain below about 4k.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:47 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Should make power about the same range as the 4.8, just more of it.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the specs on that cam?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by white1
Should make power about the same range as the 4.8, just more of it.

So you don't think there is going to be a terrible loss of low end power? According to desktop dyno (which I look at soley for power curve characteristics and not real numbers) Desktop Dyno shows the comparison between stock motor and stock motor with '01 LS6 cam installed. The curves with the "diamonds" are the stock curves and just simply by adding the cam look what happens. Now I want you all to know I was accurate as Desktop Dyno would let me get while doing this simulation. Compression Ratio, Head flow #'s, exhaust, everything! Here's what it looks like. STOCK is Diamonds once again and regular curves are with the Z06 cam. Does everyone agree that this is an accurate depiction??

Thanks,

Joe
Attached Thumbnails You guys have me worried (disappointed) by the cam swap I was going to do tomorrow-untitled.jpg  
Old 09-19-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

The specs on the 01 LS6 cam are 205/211 @ .050 and .525 lift w/a 116 lobe separation angle. I also hear though that GM grinds -2 deg into this cam. Does this sound right?
Old 09-19-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres not many cams out there that will help with low end TQ on the 4.8 unfortunatly. Do a convertor(for those that were confused- ) and 4.10's and you will see some improvements down low. But I dont think you will be dissapointd with the LS6 cam-supposodly they are pretty fun!

Last edited by TigerFan187; 09-20-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where exactly do you put the converter? passenger seat???
Old 09-19-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the '01 version of the cam it is very similar to the one I have in my 5.3L, just with a little less lift. I don't see how that would be a bad cam in your truck. On the contrary, I would think it would be decent, even on the low end, if degreed correctly. If you do decide to go for it, I would see about advancing it 4 degrees. If it does in fact have 2 degrees of retard ground in, that would mean advancing it 6 degrees.

Zippy, the passenger seat would be a waste...I was thinking about hooking the converter up to the brakes as a booster...that truck has enough room under the hood to make that happen.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Naked AV
If you have the '01 version of the cam it is very similar to the one I have in my 5.3L, just with a little less lift. I don't see how that would be a bad cam in your truck. On the contrary, I would think it would be decent, even on the low end, if degreed correctly. If you do decide to go for it, I would see about advancing it 4 degrees. If it does in fact have 2 degrees of retard ground in, that would mean advancing it 6 degrees.

Zippy, the passenger seat would be a waste...I was thinking about hooking the converter up to the brakes as a booster...that truck has enough room under the hood to make that happen.

Exactly Naked AV, this is why I don't get why people bitch so much about the '01 LS6 cam. I think they get it confused with the '02 & up. I got a cam recommendation from cammotion awhile back and they wanted to custom grind me a 205/210 dur @.050 .550/.544 cam with 114 lobe deg separation cam. The '01 LS6 cam is not far off from that 205/211 @ .525 lift on a 116 lobe deg separation. I can't see how this cam is going to be that different than the one cammotion recommended. Also, I don't really have the money for an adjustable timing chain set, How many ft lbs increase are we talking from 2000-4000 rpm's by advancing the timing chain 6 deg? 10 ft lbs or so? Is it even noticeable? I want to know if this is a dumb project I'm about to dig my hands into or if this is worthwhile?

Joe

Quick Reply: You guys have me worried (disappointed) by the cam swap I was going to do tomorrow