Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

You guys have me worried (disappointed) by the cam swap I was going to do tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Exactly Naked AV, this is why I don't get why people bitch so much about the '01 LS6 cam. I think they get it confused with the '02 & up. I got a cam recommendation from cammotion awhile back and they wanted to custom grind me a 205/210 dur @.050 .550/.544 cam with 114 lobe deg separation cam. The '01 LS6 cam is not far off from that 205/211 @ .525 lift on a 116 lobe deg separation. I can't see how this cam is going to be that different than the one cammotion recommended. Also, I don't really have the money for an adjustable timing chain set, How many ft lbs increase are we talking from 2000-4000 rpm's by advancing the timing chain 6 deg? 10 ft lbs or so? Is it even noticeable? I want to know if this is a dumb project I'm about to dig my hands into or if this is worthwhile?

Joe
Advancing the cam does not gain you any power, it moves the entire powerband further down the powerband (keeping the same shape), so if there was any gap between idle RPM's and the power starting, it would lessen, or be gone.

However, this is more of a concern for automatics with a stock torque converter. You have a manual, so this really should be a non-issue if you install it straight up, dot-to-dot. Just give it a few more revs before letting out the clutch and there is your power.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So no one here thinks that this cam is going to destroy any driveability down low that I had before. My guess is that the 01 LS6 cam will run like a completely stock truck until about 2800 RPM's or so and at that point will drastically increase power over stock. On a stock truck the torque poops out after about 3600 RPM's or so (it does on mine) and I think the new cam should extend the power into the higher RPM range. Am I far off base when I guess this cam should be good for 20 RWHP increase over stock? I plan on having my rev limiter set to 6500 RPM's after the swap. The stock 4.8L bottom end should be able to wind up to 6100 RPM's on a repeated basis and still be reliable I would think as well. Thoughts?
Old 09-19-2005, 06:39 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

01Thunder wound his stock bottom end up all the wya to 7200 and didnt mess anything up. The 4.8s can rev good since they ahve a shorter stroke. You will probably gain 20hp from teh swap. Its a alot of work for 20hp though IMO. I wouldnt say drastically increase power but you will know its there for sure.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one of my friends has a truck just like yours with the 4.8L and NV3500 with 3.73 gear. you won't have any problem with that cam from what i've experienced. it should drive similar to stock down low and once you get past 4k it should pull like mad to about 6500. you're going to have to do some programming though to get everything out of it.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by zippy
one of my friends has a truck just like yours with the 4.8L and NV3500 with 3.73 gear. you won't have any problem with that cam from what i've experienced. it should drive similar to stock down low and once you get past 4k it should pull like mad to about 6500. you're going to have to do some programming though to get everything out of it.

Now that's what I like to hear, I want the current power I have down low and then when I'm doing 55 MPH behind some granny and do the 5th gear to 3rd gear drop (tach goes to about 3800 RPM's) I want that 4.8 to wind up and keep revving until about 6200 or so where I'll shift out for the next gear. I don't know if any of you guys remember but I'm the one that had the wait4me tune that is currently running at 11.9:1 AFR and only putting a peak of 210 HP to the rear wheels. I put my stock PCM in a couple of days ago in fear I was running too rich and other than having a 100 MPH speed limiter now, I cannot tell a difference in the stock vs wait4me tune running at 11.9:1 AFR. Now that Doug Rippie Motorsports has software to Dyno Tune '04 GM cars/trucks (only went up to '03 a few months ago) I want to see if maybe I can get my money back from the wait4me tune (does jesse give full refunds?) And then take that money and have my truck professionally tuned on the dyno with the new 01 LS6 cam. From what it sounds like, a lot of you think it may be a good choice for my setup. I got the cam with only 18,000 miles on it, brand new BLUE LS6 springs and retainers for only $50. You can't beat that That's why I was so excited in doing the cam swap and then I was up until 2 AM last night reading old threads on how people say the LS6 cam sucks in a truck motor and it got me all worried. Seems like people have either changed their mind or didn't know what they were talking about in the first place. I want some more feedback. I just may go ahead and do this tomorrow.

Joe
Old 09-19-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jow02327 just put one in his 5.3 with 3.73s and without tuning it is running a few tenths faster than with the stock cam. He said it pulls much harder up top. The install is a little time consuming but it would probably be worth it if you can get one cheap and have the time to put it in. I think with a good tune it would really wake up a 4.8 up top and be close to the same down low. Like they said above if you rev it a little higher before letting out the clutch and maybe raise the rev limiter up a little bit you will probably be very happy with the gains.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just do it.

I don't see how this cam could not work.

With my cam I GAINED EVERYWHERE - including off the line - and lost nothing.

Your cam is so similar to mine it could be it's brother, just a year younger...

Actually, I'm not sure any more lift would be helpful without heads or F/I, so you're golden AFAIC.

I would say 10-15HP all over, and maybe 20HP peak. But it will be noticeable HP, and I think you'll like it.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the one thing to remember the most about the people that have hated the cam after the install, they are almost all automatic's. if you put that cam in a 4.8L or 5.3L with an auto and a stock torque converter as many seem to do, you'd hate it. a 4.8L and 5.3L with the stock cam need more stall let alone with the cam at hand. the manual trans is what is going to make your setup work.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only one way to find out...put it in
Old 09-20-2005, 02:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by zippy
Im with zippy, **** the nay sayers. Itll work fine, the rest is retorical and semantics. I gaurantee you will make more power and cut time off your et and in the end thats all that matters.

Quick Reply: You guys have me worried (disappointed) by the cam swap I was going to do tomorrow