Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Youre opinions on this Cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 06:47 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Youre opinions on this Cam

Cam
Part No. Dur @.050" Lift
Int. Exh. Adv. Duration
Int. Exh. Lobe
Sep Valve Lift
Int. Exh.
1449561 216° 224° 276° 286° 115° .551" .551"

Note: Designed for use with stock or slightly modified engines. Use with manual or automatic transmission. Power improvement in 1,500-6,000 RPM range. Excellent for use with superchargers. Must use Crane Part No. 144832-16 valve springs (more pressure than stock). Engine performance can be optimized through use of a Crane Power Tuner.

I will be using a stall verter do you think this will get mid to high 13.s with mods in sig this is not a daily driver but I do want it semi streetable.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:56 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

DO IT i just got my 212/218 cam in and i want to cry because i am so happy and i actually wanted one that big but mine was free so i could not pass it up when i am done with the mods left in my sig i am going to try to get my bro to install like a 224/224 or bigger and have my tuner (either nelson or mti i think now) to retune it get some heads with it too and it will be a whole new experience
Old 12-20-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

I have that cam

DON'T GET THE TUNER!!!!!!!!!!!!

That cam is great but I'm thinking about going bigger
Old 12-20-2004, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

2red, how's the idle on it?

Here is the Crane page.

I'm running the 210/218 112... I'm not sure what they're saying by the power starting at ~1,000 and running through 6,000. Mine is soft under 1,500, and is making more power than stock by 1,800-1,900.

I'm really surprised they mention that the 216/224 115 is a good towing cam. If they claim the power starts at 1,500, I'd be leary. VHP list power starting at 2,200, which I think is more realistic. They are very accurate with their 1,900 rating for my 210/218.

I don't "think" going bigger than my 210/218 would be beneficial for towing or low end power applications. Not that you were looking for that 03silverado, just commenting on the Crane thing.

I think that will be a good cam for what you're after. I'm considering trying it myself... but I love the extreme low end of the one I have now. I wish it sounded a little meaner at idle, but what can ya do...
Old 12-20-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

The idle is fine. That's what i don't like. I wish I would have gotten it with a 112 or 113LSA
Old 12-20-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2redgmc
The idle is fine. That's what i don't like. I wish I would have gotten it with a 112 or 113LSA
haha... I hear ya... Mine is just slightly choppy at 600rpm.

VHP sells the 216/224 on a 113 LSA...
Old 12-20-2004, 03:27 PM
10 Second Club

Let me comment on this, if I may. We tested several new Accelerated lift profiles for Crane Cams a short time ago. We were able make more than 1 ft lb of torque and 1 horsepower per cubic inch....at the rear wheel with this cam. We call it ”THE TRUCKER” . This is the cam you are asking about. This cam requires tuning techniques which are provided in the hand held TUNER / PROGRAMMER. I have yet to hear anything negative about the performance gains, drivability increases, or the ease of use of our handheld tuner....from anyone who has actually used the tuner. That is, someone who is qualified to talk about it. I have personally logged about 1000 hours with the tuner, and I am still gratified with the results every time I use one. For your information, If you intend on using nitrous, you can simply take out 10% timing and make sure your nitrous fuel jetting is rich enough. Now about the idle. The idle has a powerful choppy sound at lower rpm fuel ms, but can be smoothed out by simply increasing the idle rpm with our tuner. The cam is fine for occasional towing and it provides terrific throttle response. You stated you intend to install a high stall converter so you will rarely be below 1500 rpm once you crack the throttle. We have installed many of “THE TRUCKER” cams here at VHP, and the results are always the same. Plenty of torque, plenty of power. I think you will be very pleased with the choice. If you are looking for a little more, I suggest adding a set of our accelerated lift roller rockers. Both the 1.7 and the 1.8 ratio rockers come off the seat at a much higher rate than the factory rockers. We usually see gains of 15 to 20 ft lbs of torque and like horsepower with the addition of the rocker package. Unlike too much camshaft, there are no low end power losses, or horrible idle or rough restart problems associated with the rocker set. Best Regards..Roger Vinci
Old 12-20-2004, 03:57 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for posting a reply for Roger. I obviously have the computers up and running again. Thanks for your help. Give me a call later. Joe.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mrr23
Let me comment on this, if I may. We tested several new Accelerated lift profiles for Crane Cams a short time ago. We were able make more than 1 ft lb of torque and 1 horsepower per cubic inch....at the rear wheel with this cam. We call it ”THE TRUCKER” . This is the cam you are asking about. This cam requires tuning techniques which are provided in the hand held TUNER / PROGRAMMER. I have yet to hear anything negative about the performance gains, drivability increases, or the ease of use of our handheld tuner....from anyone who has actually used the tuner. That is, someone who is qualified to talk about it. I have personally logged about 1000 hours with the tuner, and I am still gratified with the results every time I use one. For your information, If you intend on using nitrous, you can simply take out 10% timing and make sure your nitrous fuel jetting is rich enough. Now about the idle. The idle has a powerful choppy sound at lower rpm fuel ms, but can be smoothed out by simply increasing the idle rpm with our tuner. The cam is fine for occasional towing and it provides terrific throttle response. You stated you intend to install a high stall converter so you will rarely be below 1500 rpm once you crack the throttle. We have installed many of “THE TRUCKER” cams here at VHP, and the results are always the same. Plenty of torque, plenty of power. I think you will be very pleased with the choice. If you are looking for a little more, I suggest adding a set of our accelerated lift roller rockers. Both the 1.7 and the 1.8 ratio rockers come off the seat at a much higher rate than the factory rockers. We usually see gains of 15 to 20 ft lbs of torque and like horsepower with the addition of the rocker package. Unlike too much camshaft, there are no low end power losses, or horrible idle or rough restart problems associated with the rocker set. Best Regards..Roger Vinci
I did use the Crane tuner and I am qualified to talk about.
For a truck with a cat back and air intake the Crane hand held tuner would be fine.
But I have more mods that that and using the Crane tuner made my truck run like crap with a knock retard of 8 at half throttle.
This could be because of my ported throttle body or headers with an X pipe exhaust. I don't know but what I do know is my truck was way too lean and not running near as well as with the custom tune it has now.
I tried several times to resolve this issue with crane and got no resopnce from them. I offered to send them the files from my truck so they could see what was going on and fix it. Still nothing. So after six months of trying I ditched it. I still have it in the box and if you like them so much I'll make you one hell of a deal on it.
And Yes I used the quick lift rockers and pushrods that Crane supplied.

As for my nitrous my system is computerized and uses the stock PCM to monitor what the engine is doing. This too was a problem. the Crane tuner does not disable torque management. As soon the torque management came in the nitrous computer saw it and shut off. This would occure at the 2nd to 3ed shift every time. Now with torque management gone I don't have any problem.
Also I don't retard my timing. I don't spray a hudge shot. Usually between 75 and 100 starting at 2000 RPM nice and smooth so the shock is not noticable at all. Feels like a turbo or supercharger.

Like I said I like the cam just not the tuner. I would like it more if it were on a 112LSA and the directions for installing the rockers were better than they were.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

well that was ROGER VINCI's comments i posted for him as his computer was down. but, on the other hand i do use the Vinci tuner and do field testing for them on the car side of it. no, the vinci/ crane tuner doesn't get rid of torque management. it does, however, set the parameters very wide. apparantly, you were still exceeding that parameter. i would like to know what cam program you were using with the cam you have. also, what other changes you made with it to try and get rid of the knock and lean condition.

Quick Reply: Youre opinions on this Cam