Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Youre opinions on this Cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 04:53 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much HP are you getting out of a cam, rockers, springs, etc swap along with a tc is it possible ill see 13s with out a radix.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mrr23
well that was ROGER VINCI's comments i posted for him as his computer was down. but, on the other hand i do use the Vinci tuner and do field testing for them on the car side of it. no, the vinci/ crane tuner doesn't get rid of torque management. it does, however, set the parameters very wide. apparantly, you were still exceeding that parameter. i would like to know what cam program you were using with the cam you have. also, what other changes you made with it to try and get rid of the knock and lean condition.
If I remember right it was number 3. I took all the timing out that I could, you can't add fuel so as far as i know that was all I could do.
I did try the other programs with the same luck.
Like I said for a somewhat stock truck I bet it's fine But in my case with my mods it was just not going to work.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 03silverado5.3
How much HP are you getting out of a cam, rockers, springs, etc swap along with a tc is it possible ill see 13s with out a radix.
With your mods you should be pretty close with that package.

I think they listed everything at 58hp.
I would have to dig up my notes to check that.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2redgmc
If I remember right it was number 3. I took all the timing out that I could, you can't add fuel so as far as i know that was all I could do.
I did try the other programs with the same luck.
Like I said for a somewhat stock truck I bet it's fine But in my case with my mods it was just not going to work.
to change fuel with the truck tuner you go into the injector sizing and lower the injector size. by lowering the injector size without actually changing the injectors, it will add more fuel. even though you were taking timing away, it just wasn't enough to compensate for the lean condition you had. the bigger TB added more air, which in turn leaned it out more. next time, just call vinci if you can't get answers from crane. vinci and crane have been working together since the 60s. vinci did most of the R&D with crane on the tuner.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

If it were me I wouldn't go with such a large split in your truck with the small cubes. It will make the bottom end lack a little. Maybe a 220/224 on a 112. With those kind of lift numbers on that cam though, it will survive with the ls6 springs. That would be a lot cheaper spring and just fine for that cam. Other cams may need more spring thoguh.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrr23
to change fuel with the truck tuner you go into the injector sizing and lower the injector size. by lowering the injector size without actually changing the injectors, it will add more fuel.
Good info! I was going to call VHP tomorrow and ask that.

Installed my Crane tune this weekend and it seems to pull pretty strong. I'll get a chance to test it's cam tuning abilities in the next month too.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flyer
If it were me I wouldn't go with such a large split in your truck with the small cubes. It will make the bottom end lack a little. Maybe a 220/224 on a 112. With those kind of lift numbers on that cam though, it will survive with the ls6 springs. That would be a lot cheaper spring and just fine for that cam. Other cams may need more spring thoguh.
For us cam dummies (IE-me) when you say a "large split" are you refering to the LSA?
Old 12-20-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

duration.

he was referring to the intake duration @ .05 216 and the exhaust @ .05 224

seen as 216/224 .551 lift on a 115lsa

you'll hear people describe the lsa being wide, or tight.

tight is lower numerically (109lsa)
wide higher numerically (115 for ex.)
Old 12-20-2004, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

What he said ... big splits like that are nice if you have a crappy exhaust. It will compensate for the lack of exhaust.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Veteran

ha, were gonna have chaos after mrr23 reads that statement about standard splits.

Quick Reply: Youre opinions on this Cam