GM Parts Classifieds For Sale and Wanted

FS: long tube OBX headers w/extension pipes to catback

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FS: long tube OBX headers w/extension pipes to catback

extension pipes sold, and I'm planning on keeping the headers themselves for my LS6 C4 swap project.

Taking reasonable offers, will also consider trade for cam or Fbody 4l60e trans.

I bought these from forum member $nakeCharmer. I paid $500 shipped. They were said to be a direct fit for my Denali and other trucks. Come to find out they do not fit 4wd...it took me a couple hours of r/r to find that out.

They are *supposed* to fit 4wd but for some reason the fitment of the driver side one is off quite a bit on my truck. I could probably make it work but I honestly dont have time to fool with it. You may be able to bend them in a press to gain the 1-1.5 inches of clearance currently lacking at the front driveshaft flange, or maybe cut out a tiny slice from each pipe right near the upper flange and then bend and re-weld to bring the bottom over some. I did not even try the passenger side at all, but there's not much on that side to interfere with fitment.

These are made for the 99-06 6.0 trucks with the dual inlet muffler pipes. The extension pipes for the headers are made to install directly to the stock muffler (or any aftermarket exhaust made with the same inlets as the stock one). Or you can do what most people would do and say to hell with the stock muffler, and just have a shop make pipes from there back into true duals.

After I got them I cut off the air/egr fitting and welded it shut them ground it down somewhat smooth. Then I spent $65 in moroso exhaust wrap plus 2 hours wrapping them.

These will bolt to any LS style engine as far as I know. Should fit any 2wd truck, 4wd it will not because it hits the front driveshaft flange at the front diff. Again each header has its own extension pipe for the trucks with the dual inlet mufflers...so the 5.3 trucks etc. would need a custom exhaust from the pipes back as well. The 6.0 trucks can keep the stock exhaust if you want.

Has 3 o2 bungs per pipe...and a small oval "resonator" which is probably just for looks to fool the emissions inspector into thinking there may be a cat there more than anything.

I think the primaries are 1-3/4 and are ground smooth inside at the flange and collector. Pretty decent headers IMO aside from the fitment issue.

These sell for $545 shipped on ebay before the wrapping or removal of the air fitting. I'm selling for $450 shipped in the 48 US. These require a BIG box and so shipping is going to be at least $25-50 for me. I'm taking quite a loss on these counting the shipping and the wrapping.

May consider trade toward a mild/moderate cam or an Fbody 4l60e trans.

Here's a couple pics of the interference with the front driveshaft flange.

Last edited by RotaryResurrection; 11-17-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy header wrap batman! I have this setup on my 05 AWD and they fit like a glove....???
Old 10-20-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

mine were the same but me and the 4;b hammer then a torch and a pry bar made them fit... some trucks they fit like a glove some they need some hammering
Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bumpers
mine were the same but me and the 4;b hammer then a torch and a pry bar made them fit... some trucks they fit like a glove some they need some hammering
Yeah, but I'd have to unwrap them in order to modify them to fit (or screw up the wrap). It's just easier to sell them to a 2wd owner, who should have no problems. I'm thinking of going turbo anyway.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2BFAST
holy header wrap batman! I have this setup on my 05 AWD and they fit like a glove....???
Do you think the AWD's have a different transfer case setup then the 4WD's? and that is the issue? I have a 03 Sss and was thinking about full lengths.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KAC1023
Do you think the AWD's have a different transfer case setup then the 4WD's? and that is the issue? I have a 03 Sss and was thinking about full lengths.
The internals of the tcase are different than an electronic or manual controlled part-time 4wd, but as far as I know the cases are externally the same in terms of size and location. Same for the front diff (which is what I believe you were probably thinking of when you wrote this).

I think what happens is that these chinese mass produced parts are sometimes made at the wrong angles, and so you run into interference issues at times. 100 guys can get the same "kit" and 90 of them will fit with no issues while a handful will have varying degrees of fitment issues. I've run into this before on rx-7s where people use the knockoff exhaust/intercooler parts.

All it takes is for someone to weld that top flange on about 5 degrees off, and two feet down at the bottom you wind up with 1-2 inches of fitment variation.

If I had a way to secure the flange while putting the pipes in a press I would try to bend it and gain that inch or two I need. I don't really want to screw up my wrap job though.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

still for sale.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

make offers.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 10-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Teching In

I keep thinking about it, but why won't it clear on yours? I got a 03 Sss and was thinking of long tubes. You removed the Air valve for emissions, did you bounce the air pump? What part of smog did that tube play?

Quick Reply: FS: long tube OBX headers w/extension pipes to catback