GM Parts Classifieds For Sale and Wanted

Powertrax No Slip Differential

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powertrax No Slip Differential

I have available a Power Trax No Slip locking differential.
This will fit in the rear axle of any 99-06 Silverado with a 10 bolt rear end with a stock open rear differential. It's VERY easy to install, no special knowledge needed - if you can change your back brakes you can handle this.

This unit was in my truck for about 2 years (24,000 miles). There is no wear components on this locker, it's gear on gear. A few of the springs were misplaced during when it was removed, but I have a new spring pack on order - with this new spring pack this locker is as good as new.

02white6.0 from this board installed one after I bought mine and he pushed his with a Cammed and sprayed LQ9 on ET Streets without hurting this same model differential - it is tough!

This locker sells for no less than $360 on the internet brand new.

I'm looking for $250 plus $10 shipping. Local pickup is welcome.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Teching In

you have a pm
Old 04-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

you went to an eaton right?? why the swap?? I'm interested in it BTW
Old 04-11-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
you went to an eaton right?? why the swap?? I'm interested in it BTW
yeah, I went Eaton. I didn't need a locker, I needed a limited slip. It engages strongly and never failed me, but at the same time it was a little too aggressive for my taste. You can ask white1 (Matt), I'm VERY conservative in my tastes, I drove his truck the last two days while mine was in the shop getting the work done, I was miserable driving a cammed 4X4 with a 3200 stall converter in heavy traffic.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

I guess it would be right up my alley then huh... the cammed 2wd ext cab with 3600 converter and 4.10's should be good in front of it... my limited slip is not engaging anymore LOL... I think I( killed it.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I guess it would be right up my alley then huh... the cammed 2wd ext cab with 3600 converter and 4.10's should be good in front of it... my limited slip is not engaging anymore LOL... I think I( killed it.
if you have a limited slip right now you'll also need a casing for the open differential to make this work. I have mine available and will part with it, but because of the weight to ship it the price will go up. If you have an open differential case available then throw out the spider gears and put this in it's place and you are doing great.

The main reason I went with it was because I needed traction fast and cheap. It's real easy to install at home without special knowledge so I didn't have labor expense and it's cheaper in parts than a limited slip. I needed something so that I could stop getting stuck in boat launches and on wet grass (don't laugh, it happened twice ). This did the trick.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

I have an open rearend with some broken spider gears... is that what I'll need??
Old 04-12-2007, 09:06 AM
14 Second Truck Club

does this make the rear end like a full spool where both tires spin at the same speed all the time?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

no...
Old 04-12-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes Ben, that's all you need.

this is not like a full spool, it's an automatic locker. When torque is applied it will lock the two sides together using the messing of gears rather than a clutch (like a limited slip)

here's the installation manual to give you a better idea:
http://www.powertrax.com/8221002a.pdf
when only light pressure is applied the gears don't mesh and they can slide past each other on one side or the other, when the pinion shaft has pressure on it it'll push both sets outward and it'll only slip to the point of mesh and you're locked.

Quick Reply: Powertrax No Slip Differential