Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

'01 Headlight Replacement Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '01 Headlight Replacement Options

My left headlight has a broken mounting tab so it vibrates a lot when driving around. I would like to replace both headlights with some nicer looking aftermarket ones. What are the go-to options out there OTHER than Denali headlights?

I see a lot of decent looking ones on eBay, but their price makes me concerned about quality. I am planning on installing 35W HID's for the low-beams, and probably just some Sylvania's for the high beams. So whatever I get needs to be able to withstand the heat of these. I am also open to swapping out the turn signals/DRL's as they are getting a little foggy. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMHO all aftermarket lights look ricer as a hell.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my stock housings I ordered the 35w 4000k hids. Light output was better with my upgraded silverstar ultras. After driving with the low beam hids acouple nights I pulled them and moved them over to the high beam side which made a huge difference. I swapped them out now for clear Denali projectors and ain't turning back haha
Old 12-06-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
IMHO all aftermarket lights look ricer as a hell.
Generally I agree, but I think these look okay: 1999-2002 CHEVY SILVERADO TRUCK CHROME HEAD LIGHTS+AMBER PARKING BUMPER LAMPS 4P | eBay
Old 12-06-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with some projectors from Spyder Automotive. The high beams really suck, and the low beams are incredible. I am running 6000k 37w HIDs.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

So does anyone have eBay headlights? Opinions? Quality? Fit?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen the blacked out ones on a pewter truck looked nasty and fitment looked ok but never road in the truck
Old 12-07-2011, 07:11 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in the day I used to have a HID setup made by XeSighting. It was only semi-ricer
Old 12-07-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
So does anyone have eBay headlights? Opinions? Quality? Fit?
I've installed eBay lights on customer's cars before.

Fitment: It will work. Takes some finagling to get attachment points to line up. Occasionally the housing is higher or lower in the hole than I would like.

Quality: Well, you do get what you pay for. The cheaper the housing, the softer the plastic and in the case of projectors, the cheaper the glass hemisphere (more flaws in pattern) or (gasp) it's made of plastic and clouds up very quickly.

Opinion: You will usually get all the bang for your buck. Q/A isn't there on the really cheap ones. The eBay lights offer far more variety than you might find with a higher priced alternative, just depends on how good a light you are expecting to get.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
I've installed eBay lights on customer's cars before.

Fitment: It will work. Takes some finagling to get attachment points to line up. Occasionally the housing is higher or lower in the hole than I would like.

Quality: Well, you do get what you pay for. The cheaper the housing, the softer the plastic and in the case of projectors, the cheaper the glass hemisphere (more flaws in pattern) or (gasp) it's made of plastic and clouds up very quickly.

Opinion: You will usually get all the bang for your buck. Q/A isn't there on the really cheap ones. The eBay lights offer far more variety than you might find with a higher priced alternative, just depends on how good a light you are expecting to get.
Do you have any recollection of which eBay lights fit well and which ones didnt? I'm guessing not since like you said there is quite the variety.

Quick Reply: '01 Headlight Replacement Options