Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

05 Z71 Needs Front Calipers, What Brand Remans Work?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default 05 Z71 Needs Front Calipers, What Brand Remans Work?

2005 Z71 ECSB Rear With Drum Bakes, Front calipers time to go.Looking at R Line Raybestos re-mans.
Anyone have experience or alternate recommendations?

Drivers side very uneven. Passenger side pads wore even and just right amount for time to change.
All pins were sliding nicely. Calipers are reman ACDELCO 25k miles. Pads are PFC. Very nice performing pads.

Old Yesterday | 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used 07 calipers, brackets, and rotors on my 04. An inch or some such larger. Made a YYYYUUUUUUUUUJJJJJJJE difference in braking. I used whatever sort of mid-grade calipers rockauto had; might have been Raybestos, I can't remember. Pretty sure the rotors I used were the Raybestos zinc-washed ones with the little slots. Been on there like that for about 7 or 8 years now. I think there's even larger ones you can get onto there with minimal effort butt the 07 stuff was totally a direct bolt-on.
The following 2 users liked this post by RB04Av:
Marky Dissod (Yesterday), therock (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 08:06 PM
Teching In

I'd previously replaced my worn out and depleted '02 front brake system with all-brand-new '02 ACDelco stuff.
After a few months of narrowly avoiding serious injury to several oblivious pedestrians, I did the 2010 GM OE front brake upgrade.

My 'budget' 2010 front brake kit is so confidence-inspiring, that I've nearly been buggered up the bum several times,
even on the highway during 80MpH panic braking.

I'll NEVER go back to GMT800 front brakes on my GMT821. If you've 17" wheels or larger, do NOT settle for GMT800 front brakes.
The following users liked this post:
therock (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RB04Av
I used 07 calipers, brackets, and rotors on my 04. An inch or some such larger. Made a YYYYUUUUUUUUUJJJJJJJE difference in braking. I used whatever sort of mid-grade calipers rockauto had; might have been Raybestos, I can't remember. Pretty sure the rotors I used were the Raybestos zinc-washed ones with the little slots. Been on there like that for about 7 or 8 years now. I think there's even larger ones you can get onto there with minimal effort butt the 07 stuff was totally a direct bolt-on.
Thanks,
My 05 already has the 13" rotors and seems to have the same calipers. I'll have to confirm. But that 2010 mod mentioned has me excited.
Old Yesterday | 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marky Dissod
I'd previously replaced my worn out and depleted '02 front brake system with all-brand-new '02 ACDelco stuff.
After a few months of narrowly avoiding serious injury to several oblivious pedestrians, I did the 2010 GM OE front brake upgrade.

My 'budget' 2010 front brake kit is so confidence-inspiring, that I've nearly been buggered up the bum several times,
even on the highway during 80MpH panic braking.

I'll NEVER go back to GMT800 front brakes on my GMT821. If you've 17" wheels or larger, do NOT settle for GMT800 front brakes.
Is there a thread here with all the info? Are the shims a common thickness or need to be custom fit per vehicle?
Old Yesterday | 09:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by therock
Is there a thread here with all the info? Are the shims a common thickness or need to be custom fit per vehicle?
It's not nearly as complicated as your questions imply. It is simpler than you want it to be.
Only thing I forgot was that you can still use the fluid hoses for your '05. If I could, I would redact your mention of shims. This post IS all the thread you need, truly.

Just get the caliper brackets, calipers, rotors, and pads for a 2010 GMT900. (I chose Suburban, but it could just as easily be a Tahoe PPV, or a Sielvierrado.)
Remove old schidt, replace with new schidt. Plug & play & drive away.

My mech, who happens to own a GMT800 Tahoe, was so impressed, he asked me about other mods for his.
He got tuned, and he's about to get the '06 pair of electrical fans upgrade and '06 Escalade alternator. It's all plug & play.
Old Yesterday | 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2010 & 2007 use the same stuff. Good to hear confirmation of experimental results.

Marky is right, the hoses bolt right up. No shims, no adapters, no NOTHING; not even different bolts. Just calipers & brackets (I bought mine together that way), pads, & rotors. The GMT900 calipers fit under the 17" wheels easily. For just a simple stuuupid bolt-up, it's one of the best things I've ever done to my truck. Almost impossible to believe GM sent out such crappy brakes for all those years when it's SO EEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZY to make it better.
Old Yesterday | 11:44 PM
Teching In

2010 & 2007 use the same stuff.
If you do find one of the old 'master reference' threads in one of the old forums with all the info about the GMT900 front brake kit upgrade,
you'll find that changes to the pads (and possibly the calipers?) propagated through all the GMT900s between '07 & '09.
By 2010 everything re-standardized (except of course for the PPV with the slightly more heat-resistant 'rubber' seals and O-rings & stuff),
which is why I said 2010 and not 2007.
Good to hear confirmation of experimental results.
Marky is right, the hoses bolt right up. No shims, no adapters, no NOTHING; not even different bolts. Just calipers & brackets (I bought mine together that way), pads, & rotors.
GMT900 calipers fit under the 17" wheels easily. For just a simple stuuupid bolt-up, it's one of the best things I've ever done to my truck.
Almost impossible to believe GM sent out such crappy brakes for all those years when it's SO EEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZY to make it better.
I literally just gave them to my mechanic and said, 'just take the old ones off, and put the new ones on. That's it.'
Watched his eyes get bigger ...
Old Today | 04:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I'm going to need to see them in hand because my 2005 came with 13 inch rotors and larger calipers than 2004. Images show a like caliper. Can anyone explain the difference
In the 2005 GM upgraded the brakes and the 2007?