Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

102 mm fast questions on how to cathedral port heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:52 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08Silveradojp
it is a 595/605 lift with a duration of 295.295 pretty big but i dont want a turbo i think i want a procharger bc i am going to try and make higher end bettter not lower. i always have big diesels trying to race off of 60 and if i can pull a 10 at the truck with just a procharger and alot of other mods i would be happy with the look and i have all that extra space.
there a little pricey ehh i said have an extra set 243 with not more that 8k miles that i wanted ported and polished is that there price i see for 3249$
I think you have a bit more learning to do before you go wasting a ton of money on parts that you really do not know about.. I first have to disagree with them cam numbers.. They are def not 295 duration at 50kth, maybe seat to seat.. You do realize you will have to build a trans( that will hold) and a good rear end.. Followed by all the fuel system upgrades?? I do like the idea your set on a procharger.. But to see them times with a 4.8 you will need to run a huge converter in the 38-4k neighborhood, a **** load of boost..
Old 03-08-2011, 07:41 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help i have a 4.8 silverado 08 with a pretty big cam 3200 stall 243 heads lt full exhaust.
what should i port my 243's to if i plan on going with 102 mm from fast.
where can i get them ported i have an extra set out in the back with only 8k miles also i plan on getting a procharger and a better tune i am willing to get pretty big ports and i am also willing to get bigger pistons or anything as long as the 4.8 looks beefier and also has about 550 hp to the wheel :0 that would put a big smile on my face
i am near lubbock tx and midland od tx who does cathedral ports.
thank you ahead of time
they are all gna look the same
Old 03-08-2011, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

im in hobbs nm. and i dont think a lq9 is there a way to converte the engine i have i dont want ot change the block if that was the case i would get an ls9

let me correct myself then,,to make it a lil simpler he has an iron 6.0L block stroked to a 408...either way gl with the 4.8...like it was said earlier big boost on the 4.8 will achieve huge numbers,,,and if u go with a big shot of n2o,,,i know one of the fastest 4.8 trucks n/a ran in the low 12s and i think that was charlie at vengeance a long time ago,,,im positive someone has ran faster on n20,,,but i dnt really keep up with the fastest 4.8s so someone will more or less have to correct me...im positive a big shot will net u sum low 11s...
Old 03-08-2011, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
I think you have a bit more learning to do before you go wasting a ton of money on parts that you really do not know about.. I first have to disagree with them cam numbers.. They are def not 295 duration at 50kth, maybe seat to seat.. You do realize you will have to build a trans( that will hold) and a good rear end.. Followed by all the fuel system upgrades?? I do like the idea your set on a procharger.. But to see them times with a 4.8 you will need to run a huge converter in the 38-4k neighborhood, a **** load of boost..
well thank you...
but it is a 295 295 i can show paper work. also i do have a after market fuel system and i have my tranny rebuilt with a 3200 stall and i didnt mean i meant 12 im trying to be realastic heads cam procharger 102mm with good tune out to get me a 12 wouldnt you say
Old 03-10-2011, 07:11 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well thank you...
but it is a 295 295 i can show paper work. also i do have a after market fuel system and i have my tranny rebuilt with a 3200 stall and i didnt mean i meant 12 im trying to be realastic heads cam procharger 102mm with good tune out to get me a 12 wouldnt you say
295/295 must be the advertised duration, most of us around here use the specs at .050 as a reference, and most cams are listed that way these days. Soooo, what's the duration at .050? It will be on the cam card...with duration numbers like that I must assume that duration at .050 is over .24x/.24x
Old 03-12-2011, 05:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
295/295 must be the advertised duration, most of us around here use the specs at .050 as a reference, and most cams are listed that way these days.
you beat me to it

also that big *** cam in the little 4.8 needs more than heads/intake/exhaust/converter/gears..just saying. thats toooo big of a cam for that 3200...keep in mind, thats just my .02 you may love how your truck runs.

whats your 60'?? ever ran it at the track?

also, you can not run a LQ4/9 in your truck UNLESS you run a full stand alone harness. you can run a 2008+LS2 out of a TBSS, a LY6-L76 (6.0) L92-LS3 (6.2)
because you have to have the 58x in your truck, you cant make it run a 24x on a 58x OS that i know of.

also look at Foose4.8 or something of that sort...front mount running 11s or so, out of a 4.8
look at Smokeshow with a front mount (not sure the turbo or anything else of the build, its a 5.3)
look at the dude that has the 72mm Trick front mount kit on meth that made over 800ish (5.3)
and the list goes on and on and on with big HP out of little motors..just saying, put some more thought into it before you take the next step. also the trans is a BIG issue behind big HP. if you are staying N/A or even nitrous and want to spend the money...go Performabuilt LVL 2-3, FLT LVL 5 or 7, if you want to go turbo run a 4L80e with a shift kit and call it a day!
IF you are looking for big HP, and easy way to get there...i say front mount turbo, or a procharger D1-F1 (i think thats the bigger ones)
Old 03-20-2011, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
you beat me to it

also that big *** cam in the little 4.8 needs more than heads/intake/exhaust/converter/gears..just saying. thats toooo big of a cam for that 3200...keep in mind, thats just my .02 you may love how your truck runs.

whats your 60'?? ever ran it at the track?

also, you can not run a LQ4/9 in your truck UNLESS you run a full stand alone harness. you can run a 2008+LS2 out of a TBSS, a LY6-L76 (6.0) L92-LS3 (6.2)
because you have to have the 58x in your truck, you cant make it run a 24x on a 58x OS that i know of.

also look at Foose4.8 or something of that sort...front mount running 11s or so, out of a 4.8
look at Smokeshow with a front mount (not sure the turbo or anything else of the build, its a 5.3)
look at the dude that has the 72mm Trick front mount kit on meth that made over 800ish (5.3)
and the list goes on and on and on with big HP out of little motors..just saying, put some more thought into it before you take the next step. also the trans is a BIG issue behind big HP. if you are staying N/A or even nitrous and want to spend the money...go Performabuilt LVL 2-3, FLT LVL 5 or 7, if you want to go turbo run a 4L80e with a shift kit and call it a day!
IF you are looking for big HP, and easy way to get there...i say front mount turbo, or a procharger D1-F1 (i think thats the bigger ones)

i have ran it at the track no tune and with no stall it ran super slow with a 17.5 haha i know i need more stuff i never get on it bc its a daily driver. i am going to get a fast 102 mm and a procharger and if i mess it up i will just get a 427 stroked or i might just bore and stroke mine port polish heads change fuel injectors etc. i do realize its a big cam for a little 4.8 but it doesnt bother me its just a 4.8 and i want to try and make the 4.8 run a 11. and post it up with just bolt ons no nos or nothing exotic once i accomplish that i will be going bigger that and im still learning and i have realized that the guy was right aboout the duratoin im sorry and like i said im still learning
Old 03-30-2011, 10:35 AM
Launching!

talk to chevrolet all the way (blake) he has run a 4.8 for a while he can give you some heads up on it!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

I am going to get a fast 102 mm and a procharger and if i mess it up i will just get a 427 stroked or i might just bore and stroke mine port polish heads change fuel injectors etc. i do realize its a big cam for a little 4.8 but it doesnt bother me its just a 4.8 and i want to try and make the 4.8 run a 11. and post it up with just bolt ons no nos or nothing exotic once i accomplish that i will be going bigger that and im still learning and i have realized that the guy was right aboout the duratoin im sorry and like i said im still learning
I think what there trying to explain is that some of the parts your listing are sort of working against each other. Do your research and pick out parts that complement each other and you will be a lot happier and send less money getting it right the first time. Remember if you drop in a 427 you probably are going to have to buy a bigger procharger depending on which one you get the first time. IMO hold off on the intake and put in a different cam spec'd for a procharger and maybe even a little higher stall converter first.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

This is a joke right?

Quick Reply: 102 mm fast questions on how to cathedral port heads