Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

135mph = blown driveshaft...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 11:12 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! Big time pucker there!Back end raise up when it bounced of the pavement?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlt76028
i looked in my rear view mirror and dust went everywhere and half my driveshaft was bouncing 6 feet in the air down the middle of the fast lane and the gt i was beating swerved out of the way barely.
You should be extremely happy that drive shaft didn't hit his car
Old 06-21-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 29" tires and 4.56:1 gears and have been to 130MPH (6800RPM) many times on each of the two custom-built driveshafts made by Inland Empire Driveline in Ontario CA. (Got mine years before their deal with Summit racing to build shafts for F-Bodys)
First one was aluminum. Light but developed slipyoke bind ("clunk") after a while. Second one was splined and steel. Twice the weighy and strength, but never binds and doesn't ring like aluminum shafts do.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:01 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been looking all over and asking about these driveline's critical speed, and the only input I get is "I took my truck to 150 mph once, and I'm okay, so you shouldn't have any problems." Well, I guess I'm too damn picky for that. When a driveline does let go, it's always at a high speed, and can take out the bed, gas tank, exhaust, transmission/t-case, etc, and may cause a wreck. Does anybody have any real info on this??
Old 06-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I've been looking all over and asking about these driveline's critical speed, and the only input I get is "I took my truck to 150 mph once, and I'm okay, so you shouldn't have any problems." Well, I guess I'm too damn picky for that. When a driveline does let go, it's always at a high speed, and can take out the bed, gas tank, exhaust, transmission/t-case, etc, and may cause a wreck. Does anybody have any real info on this??
You aren't googling hard enough then...like James B. posted, I have an Inland Empire Driveline in Ontario CA. Denny's Driveshaft is pretty common among the truck guys also. If you google "critical speed driveshaft" you should find wealth of knowledge, let alone on here as well.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like most of the busted ones I've seen lately are the aluminum ones.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by svensk
Seems like most of the busted ones I've seen lately are the aluminum ones.
Umm his is steel

And here is my input on the subject, for whta it's worth

Stock shafts are balanced to right around 100mph beyond that you pass the critical speed, especially with the Aluminum beer cans in the extended and crew cabs. the pic i posted is exactly what happened to him around 6k in 3rd at 130 plus the minute he let off the gas and the shaft didn't have torque holding it straight it started to wobble and at 6k rpms that wobble did bad stuff quick.

My truck had a REALLY bad critical speed vibration around 120 with my 77in aluminum stocker and though it never broke it is twisted like a candy cane

i think people neglect these driveshafts to much and don't start quoting mythbusters on me cause those conditions were less than 1k driveshaft rpms not the 6k we see much higher surface speeds on the shaft, close to 60mph on the shaft, thats alot of speed for a 3" diameter shaft now obviously the surface speed speeds up with the bigger shaft for example the stock aluminum one is ~5" at the biggest part so at 6k rpms that is around 90mph surface speed BUT the rotational and inertial strength of the shaft increases thus raising the critcal speed. BUT All of this is completely dependent on the length of the shaft and the material.

Damn my head hurts

Long story short the first mod for anyone should be a driveshaft and a loop but everyone neglects them
Old 06-22-2008, 01:18 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by ZZebes
the pic i posted is exactly what happened to him around 6k in 3rd at 130 plus the minute he let off the gas and the shaft didn't have torque holding it straight it started to wobble and at 6k rpms that wobble did bad stuff quick
yea thats probably what happen except i didnt let off the gas it went to shift into fourth and thats when she let go...

BTW i thought it was aluminum too cuz its really light.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:20 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

wow scary stuff right there, Ive touched 140 (which was stupid) and lucked out, but I do have a 2 piece so.....anyone break those at highspeeds, how are the 2 piece ones for strength?
Old 06-22-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dlt76028
BTW i thought it was aluminum too cuz its really light.
Nope just really shitty steel lol

Quick Reply: 135mph = blown driveshaft...