Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

2000 rcsb 4.3 Manual transmission..truck takes to long to pick up speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Have pic somewhere of my truck gettin fuel pump somewhere, ill post it IF i can find it...
Old 10-14-2015, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok sounds good,once I get done dignosing it and if it is the fuel pump then I'll get a couple buddy's and tackle this job
Old 10-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Remove the 4 bolts from the driver side of the bed. Disconnect wiring harness, remove bolts and clip from fuel filler door and tuck it down out of the way, loosen the 4 passenger side bed bolts and have a friend help pick the side of the bed up, prop it up with a jack stand and or 4x4 so you can access the top of the tank. Ive done it this way on the side of the road before. Takes about an hour start to finish if you're replacing the whole drop-in assembly. A little longer if you're just changing the pump in the bucket. I have a Walbro 255 pump in my stock 01 bucket feeding my 4.3. I had lots of small drivability issues that were resolved with a fresh fuel pump. These stock GM pumps aren't real great...
Old 10-14-2015, 12:14 PM

Just a little update;
This morning I figured I would check the airfilter to see if it's dirty or not and low and behold there airfilter was missing,the airfilter box was really dirty and dusty and the screen on the maf sensor was extremely dusty..I clean the airbox and brought a filter and maf cleaner..I installed the airfilter and I'm planing on cleaning the maf sensor when I get off work..after driving around for 30mins the truck was still acting up but I parked it for a few hours then started it again and went on lunch break and it is running about 50% percent better..I hope when I clean the maf sensor it runs even better because that thing looks filthy and no telling how long the previous owner was driving without an airfilter..
I can't find my scanner but my boy had one but he said he doesn't think it does live data,I'll still hook it up and see if it shows any of the old codes it threw because the CEL is not on.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

If the MAF sensor was as bad as you describe id probably just replace it... seen too many f'd worse after cleaning!!!

Last edited by Wolftrk99; 10-14-2015 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Thumbs moving faster than brain
Old 10-14-2015, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

They run better down low with the screen in, replace the MAF. I bet it runs/drives a lot better.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:02 AM

Yep MAF sensor just got more F'D up after cleaning it with Maf sensor cleaner..truck is starting to cut off ever now an again .I'm gona change the maf sensor today and give it a tuneup(spark plugs and wires
Old 10-15-2015, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Make sure you change cap and rotor too.... And be very cautious of correctly threading the cap screws back into the distributor or you can break the ears off.....
Old 10-15-2015, 12:33 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

When You Re-Start a truck that was run out of fuel you will have air in the system. It won't run correctly until all the air is bleed out of the fuel system. This could be a part of the reason why it felt doggy and ran poorly after it was run out of gas. It takes time for the air to get pushed all the way through the system if you don't bleed them at the rail first...
Old 10-15-2015, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
When You Re-Start a truck that was run out of fuel you will have air in the system. It won't run correctly until all the air is bleed out of the fuel system. This could be a part of the reason why it felt doggy and ran poorly after it was run out of gas. It takes time for the air to get pushed all the way through the system if you don't bleed them at the rail first...
Thats typically only for first few minutes though, usually once the pump primes and injectors open it pushes all the air out, then again ive normally got a fuel pressure guage on the rail when im dealing with fuel issues so may be bleeding when i pull my fp guage off.... Then again hes dealing with a 4.3 with that BS spider injector....

Quick Reply: 2000 rcsb 4.3 Manual transmission..truck takes to long to pick up speed