Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

2001 Silverado ???s

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Silverado ???s

Well, I bought this 2001 Silverado because I was in need of a truck and I got a decent deal on it or so I thought. Anywho, I've been in the process of general maintenance and what not, after all it has 150,000 miles. It runs fine, or seems to but two things are irritating me and I've yet to get to them.

1)How difficult is it to replace the Check Engine bulb. I pulled the cluster out and popped the front and back off but how do I get to that bulb? Do I get at it from the front or back. I didn't have much time today after taking the cluster out to thoroughly look at the cluster and see how to completely disassemble it and wanted to ask someone who may have done this what I might need in the way of specialty tools, if any, before I sit down and completely take it apart. Bulbs, screwdrivers, torx bit, etc...anything that may not be the norm.

2)The column doesn't lock the steering wheel when I cut the truck off. Is that a function something in the tumbler assembly being broken or an electrical connection or what?

Any help is appreciated! Once I get all the pesky crap sorted out I'll be attempting the 6.0L/4L80E swap down the road but I just want all this sorted out. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Check engine bulb? check engine shows in the Message Display center.

2) GM removed the column lock at some point in time. I think yours just doesn't have it.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SnakeOiler
1) Check engine bulb? check engine shows in the Message Display center.

2) GM removed the column lock at some point in time. I think yours just doesn't have it.
1)I can see the outline of the service engine light above the message center. If it was in the message center it should light up with the ignition on but the vehicle not started, correct?

2)From what I have read on the TSBs from GM, the column lock was deleted until the 2002 model year. Is it possible mine had it done, I guess but it just struck me as odd that it wasn't there.

Anyone else?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe it 2002 they changed it, but in 1999-2001 the engine light is not in the message center, I beleive the bulb is soldered right to the circuit board, its as "easy" lol as cutting the bulb off and soldering a new bulb in place, as far the steering wheel lock I dont know how to fix it but it difenently should have one
Old 11-23-2010, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Well I took the time to tear into everything. For one, some jackass got tired of seeing the SES light after removing the cats and pulled the bulb from the board. Was an easy fix, and secondly I found out that my truck did come with the column lock delete. Strange how some did and didn't. I'm assuming it must have been the manufacture date off the line or something, as some have it for my year model and others don't. On to tackle more stupid BS from the previous retarded owners.