Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

2006 Silverado DPN Tow Mirrors to DL3 Power Folding Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Silverado DPN Tow Mirrors to DL3 Power Folding Mirrors

Hey all, I recently picked up an 06 Silverado 1500 that came with the DPN tow mirrors. The truck was built with them according to the build sheet. I swapped them with a pair of DL3 power folding mirrors and replaced the driver door module with a brand new one. I got the part# 15883320 from a truck that had the DL3 RPO. I can move the glass and fold the mirrors in with no issues. The problem is that the memory position doesn’t work on them which is somewhat annoying since multiple people drive the truck.

It was my understanding from everything that I have read that the BCM would need to be reprogramed by the dealer to recognize the new mirrors and add the memory and curb view assist features. The dealer keeps telling me that the new mirrors should have came with some sort of code in the box for them to reprogram them (they did not). I found an old service bulletin that said new door module calibrations could be obtained from GM Techline Customer Support and mentioned that to the dealer, but they said that GM support line probably wouldn’t be able to help for a vehicle of this age.

I just wanted to see if anyone had a definitive answer as to how to get the memory functionality to work properly. I imagine some reprogramming is necessary if anyone has details on how it can be done that I can go back to my dealer with (or a dealer who knows how to do it to begin with). Thanks.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:33 PM
'12 AWD Platinum Escalade

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I can't answer your question, but I can add to your knowledge. I replaced most of my '04 RCSB Silverado interior and mirrors with Escalade stuff. I remember to enable the steering wheel controls, the dealership had to call GM Techline and have the steering wheel controls added to my VIN number. From there, they re-flashed the BCM with a new downloaded program from GM and bingo... steering wheel radio buttons work (and the BCM still sends the same VIN number on the bus).

I added Esclade memory seats, door modules, gauge cluster, etc. If the dealership flashes your vehicle's VIN to the seats... the seats loose all of the Escalade features and function like your original seats. Easy fix, find the VIN from the same year Escalade (I used ebay) and have the dealership flash that VIN to the seats. However, if they flash your VIN to the gauge cluster... it dies and will not come back period.

I too had the mirrors folding, but I never got the memory to work. I figured it was either a wring issue, or I needed to have the dealership call the GM Techline to add the feature. The BCM module is the same between a 4-door loaded Escalade and a 2-door Silverado.

Hope someone else can chime-in. Otherwise, please let us know what you find out.

Last edited by wardlws; 01-17-2024 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-15-2024, 11:43 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy2K5
Hey all, I recently picked up an 06 Silverado 1500 that came with the DPN tow mirrors. The truck was built with them according to the build sheet. I swapped them with a pair of DL3 power folding mirrors and replaced the driver door module with a brand new one. I got the part# 15883320 from a truck that had the DL3 RPO. I can move the glass and fold the mirrors in with no issues. The problem is that the memory position doesn’t work on them which is somewhat annoying since multiple people drive the truck.

It was my understanding from everything that I have read that the BCM would need to be reprogramed by the dealer to recognize the new mirrors and add the memory and curb view assist features. The dealer keeps telling me that the new mirrors should have came with some sort of code in the box for them to reprogram them (they did not). I found an old service bulletin that said new door module calibrations could be obtained from GM Techline Customer Support and mentioned that to the dealer, but they said that GM support line probably wouldn’t be able to help for a vehicle of this age.

I just wanted to see if anyone had a definitive answer as to how to get the memory functionality to work properly. I imagine some reprogramming is necessary if anyone has details on how it can be done that I can go back to my dealer with (or a dealer who knows how to do it to begin with). Thanks.
A 1500 with DPN tow mirrors? Was the truck originally a DL8 truck?

Old 01-16-2024, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
A 1500 with DPN tow mirrors? Was the truck originally a DL8 truck?
It came from the factory with the DPN tow mirrors per the build sheet.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Damm uneducated gm service writers. GMT 800 trucks are easy with no calls to gm required. When they go to reflash the drivers and passenger door modules it will give them option to flash the module with correct calibrations based on the mirror RPO code. In your case they select DL3 hit enter and good to go. The BCM does not need any CAL updates in these trucks for mirror operations. There is no special voodoo workaround required to make DL3 work properly these trucks were straight forwards easy. Now GMT900's your screwed total pita.

Then again most of the techs at dealers working on these trucks now are a byproduct of the stain on the back seats of these trucks when they were still new so they don't know dick about how to make em work.

If your truck from the factory has memory position button then everything will work properly.