Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

2006 Silverado. My a/c fan wont stop blowing,even with key off. What part is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Silverado. My a/c fan wont stop blowing,even with key off. What part is bad?

2006. Has dual climate control with auto setting,which is somewhat rare. At least rare enough where I can't find a used unit in a pull-it junkyard.

Is it the blower motor resistor,or the control panel itself?

Both are priced north of $100ea,and with electronic parts being non-exchangeable from any parts house,how can I narrow it down?

I pulled the underhood 40a fuse so it wont kill my battery. However,when I install the fuse,the ac works,but the controls at the panel are quirky. Fan blowing on HI when its set on LOW,some controls not responding,ect.

Thoughts??
Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resistor failed.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

There is a policy extension on these, you may take it to your dealer and have it covered for nothing. You must have cj3 ac RPO and less then 150,000 miles I think it is.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by david8399
There is a policy extension on these, you may take it to your dealer and have it covered for nothing. You must have cj3 ac RPO and less then 150,000 miles I think it is.
How/where could I verify that rpo?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

glovebox sticker. May also be RPO code sheet under the rubber mat in the center console.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Thanks a ton,bros!

That may save me $200!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

No it won't because if you have digital auto climate like I do in both of my trucks it's RPO CJ2. CJ3 is the manual lever controlled dual zone.

Sounds like the control board in the head is probably bad/damaged or whatever. Regular junkyard or rebuilt will likely fix it. The auto units rarely fail and do not have the resistor issues the manual units do.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
No it won't because if you have digital auto climate like I do in both of my trucks it's RPO CJ2. CJ3 is the manual lever controlled dual zone.

Sounds like the control board in the head is probably bad/damaged or whatever. Regular junkyard or rebuilt will likely fix it. The auto units rarely fail and do not have the resistor issues the manual units do.

Yeah, I found that out about 20min after they posted it. Found the actual recall, and realized that my truck was not eligible.

So, basically, im back to square one. Not sure if its the resistor or the control board.

Also, my father has a 07" Classic, but does not have the AUTO CC. I pulled his resistor, and it looks TOTALLY different than mine. Mine has 2 alum plates, and as you said, does not look nearly as prone to failure.

However, my truck is doing the exact same thing that is listed in the GM bulitin. The only thing that makes me think that it is the control board, is that its acting quirky. When the screen shows the fan to be on LOW, its blowing HI, and vise versa..

Unfortunately, the "AUTO" options are pretty rare. I have scowered all the local junkyards, and have found neither a resistor, or a control board.

QUESTION: If your truck has the AUTO climate control, and has had this issue, did a new blower resistor fix it??
Old 02-05-2013, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Never had a problem with any of the trucks I have had with auto climate including these two I have now..... fortunately, lol. The CJ2 version yes, but I refuse to buy a truck with the manual control now. The only things mine have ever done is get stuck logic wise and not allow the a/c compressor to engage ( even when above the low temperature cutoff). I just pull the fuse in the underhood fuse center, let it reset, restart the truck so it goes through a relearn and it's good. I wish I could help more than that but I can't. They are pretty easy to find around here honestly and are not that rare in the boneyards but that doesn't really help your situation much.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Were do you live at???

Have you searched Ebay for better deals???

Quick Reply: 2006 Silverado. My a/c fan wont stop blowing,even with key off. What part is bad?