Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

2007 excessive oil comsumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the other more generic PI -

#PIP4492K: Excessive Oil Consumption And/Or Blue Exhaust Smoke - Possible PCV Baffle Or Lifter - (Feb 1, 2010)

Subject: Excessive Oil Consumption and/or Blue Exhaust Smoke - Possible PCV Baffle or Lifter

Models: 2009 Buick Lacrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)

2004-2006 Buick Rainier

2004-2008 Cadillac CTS-V

2003-2010 Cadillac Escalade

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS (Only Models with RPO L99)

2003-2007 Chevrolet Corvette

2009-2010 Chevrolet Colorado

2003-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe,

2006-2009 Chevrolet Impala

2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2003-2006 Chevrolet SSR

2003-2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer

2008-2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer

2009-2010 GMC Canyon

2003-2006 GMC Envoy

2008-2009 GMC Envoy

2003-2010 GMC Savana, Sierra, Yukon

2003-2010 Hummer H2

2008-2010 Hummer H3

2006-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix

2008-2010 Pontiac G8

2005-2006 Saab 97x

2008-2009 Saab 97x

With any of the following V8 Engine RPO Codes

4.8L - L20, LR4, LY2

5.3L - L33, L59, LH8, LH9, LM7, LMF, LMG, LS4, LY5, LC9, LH6 (*except 2007 model year LC9 and LH6)

6.0L - L76, L77, L96, LFA, LQ4, LQ9, LS2, LY6, LZ1

6.2L - L92, L94, L99, L9H

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to remove the 2007 LH6 and 2007 ST models since these have been incorporated into PIP4574. Please discard PIP4492J.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important:
This PI does not apply to 2007 model year vehicles equipped with the 5.3L Engine RPO Code LC9 or LH6. Please refer to the latest version of PIP4574 for 2007 model year vehicles equipped with RPO Code LC9 or LH6 Engines that have an oil consumption concern. For all others, refer to the recommendations below.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
On rare occasions, some customers may complain of excessive oil consumption and/or blue exhaust smoke. Upon inspection, obvious oil will be found in the intake manifold and/or PCV vacuum tube.

This may be the result of:

• A PCV fresh air hose that is pinched or restricted by plastic casting flash (this would normally be a concern since new, or shortly after engine repairs).

• Plugged PCV baffle drain holes in the valve cover that has the PCV vacuum pipe attached to it (this would normally be a concern at high mileage).

• An improperly sealed PCV valve cover baffle (this would normally be a concern since new, or shortly after valve cover replacement).

• Over-aggressive valve lifters (generally occur at low mileage - less than 10,000 miles or so).

Recommendation/Instructions:
Important: This PI does not apply to 2007 model year vehicles equipped with the 5.3L Engine RPO Code LC9 or LH6. Please refer to the latest version of PIP4574 for 2007 model year vehicles equipped with RPO Code LC9 or LH6 Engines that have an oil consumption concern.

If bulletin 01-06-01-011 identifies excessive oil consumption but SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of it, inspect the PCV vacuum pipe to see if obvious oil drips out of it and look through the throttle body opening to see if there is obvious standing oil in the bottom of the intake manifold (normally a 1/4 quart or more if this PI applies). If there is obvious oil in the PCV vacuum pipe or in the bottom of the intake, perform the steps below and re-evaluate the oil consumption concern:

•Inspect the fresh air hose/pipe and all related connections to make sure that no restrictions exist (plastic casting flash, pinched hose, etc.), which may cause excessive crankcase vacuum. Repair the restriction as necessary. Generally, the oil consumption would have been a concern since new, or shortly after engine repairs, if this is the root cause.
•Inspect the PCV baffle drain holes shown below to see if they are plugged with hardened oil deposits. These are located in the valve cover that has the PCV vacuum pipe attached to it. If they are plugged, replace the valve cover, ensure that the customer is changing their oil according to the maintenance schedule in their owner's manual, and re-evaluate the concern. Generally, the oil consumption would not have appeared until several thousand miles accumulated if this is the root cause.
Important: If this step leads to valve cover replacement, perform step 3 on the replacement valve cover before installing it.

•PCV Baffle Drain Holes:

•Inspect the PCV baffle to ensure that it is properly sealed to the valve cover by flipping it over and adding a little oil to the baffle to valve cover joint as shown below. The oil should stay in place as shown on the 2 outer valve covers below. If the oil drains into the PCV baffle as pointed out on the middle valve cover below, replace the valve cover. Generally, the oil consumption would have been present early in the life of the vehicle or shortly after valve cover replacement if this is the root cause.
Important: If this step leads to valve cover replacement, perform this step on the replacement valve cover before installing it.

•PCV Baffle Comparison

•If there is no problem found above but there is obvious oil in the PCV vacuum pipe or bottom of the intake manifold, this may be the result of the PCV system ingesting excessive oil due to an over-aggressive lifter. Sometimes this may occur intermittently so inspecting the lifter flow may or may not isolate the suspect lifter. As a result, all 16 lifters should be replaced if steps 1-3 above do not isolate the cause of excessive oil in the intake.
Important: If Step 2 or 3 leads to valve cover replacement, perform Step 3 on the replacement valve cover before installing it.

Important: Drain/clean the oil out of the intake manifold and install the intake with new intake gaskets before releasing the vehicle to the customer. If this is not performed, the customer may return with an exhaust smoke complaint even though their oil consumption complaint may be repaired.

Important: Make sure that the replacement lifters do not have any sign of debris in the plunger area as shown in the bottom-center lifter below. If there is debris present, remove it with some light shop air. Do not stick anything in the plunger area to remove it such as a screwdriver.

Example of Debris in Lifter

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks bigredexpress99 !! I have about 4 people with 2007 c/k trucks with this problem that I got asked about on saturday. I miss my axcess to dealerworld some kind of bad.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

no problem man! Anytime you need something feel free to ring me up!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I surely will!!
Old 04-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Just bumping this back up to see if any additional info has been released.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

yeah the two big things they are doing right now is replacing the lifters for being over aggressive and the second being the most common is replacing pistons and rings. I've done a couple sets of pistons now and am def sold on this being the problem. The rings get so carboned up they can't move to expand and seal correctly so you burn oil. The ones with rings are usually 40k and higher. The ones getting lifters are about 30k and under. But it all depends on driving.

One thing of note is that using QUALITY OIL in these engines is going to be key for longevity. And changing it often. I've noticed that the people going by their oil life are having the problems more-so than those changing every 3k or 3 mths. SO do yourself a favor and spend a little extra money on good oil and a do it a little more often. Especially if you have voided your warranty or plan on making past the 100k mark for a while. Because you might get new pistons and rings, but you keep going with your old habits, you'll need the same thing again down the road and probably when your out of warranty! As for the over aggressive lifters, theres nothing you can do to prevent that, its a design issue there.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Launching!

As far as the carbon build up on the rings do you think that an application of SeaFoam would help burn it off. This is for my dad's 2007 nnbs Silverado, it is burning mostly after a good highway run(4+hrs.) has averaged about 1qt. every 1500-2000 miles, the truck is approaching 90k and other than the burning of oil it is problem free.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

It might help, but then I dont know if there is any "damage" per say done to the rings i.e. losing their tension, wearing odd on one side from being frozen, etc. But GM isnt even suggesting to engine clean for these motors which tells me it needs a bit more help that an induction service....
Old 04-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Launching!

ah, I see...so nice of GM to not have a reliable fix.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Well the rings are definetly a different design...I think they have the issue fixed but it also relies on customer action by using quality oil and timely oil changes

Quick Reply: 2007 excessive oil comsumption