Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

2011 silverado engine knocking @ 3k

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This crap suck sittin at home.
Gets under my skin someone else workin on my stuff.
Check out the pics of my 3000 mile new truck. 2 Lifters came apart and the cam is scored.
GM wants to replace cam and lifters. I told him not a chance! 2 options here, new engine or buy back. I am willing to go to the end now!
Attached Thumbnails 2011 silverado engine knocking @ 3k-dsc08000.jpg   2011 silverado engine knocking @ 3k-dsc08001.jpg   2011 silverado engine knocking @ 3k-dsc08002.jpg   2011 silverado engine knocking @ 3k-dsc08004.jpg   2011 silverado engine knocking @ 3k-dsc08005.jpg  

Old 04-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks .....any chance you have a pic of the top side of the lifter ......

....GM is supposed to have a "impoved lifter" from Delphi to fix this issue curious to see what lifter was in your motor ....since it a 2011 ............. hopefully not the Eaton lifters that are the ones with most of the problems .the "validated " new Delphi lifter spring clip on top of the plunger has a 3 sided clip .the old style eaton has just a 2 sided parrallel clip
Old 04-09-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RacinRust
This crap suck sittin at home.
Gets under my skin someone else workin on my stuff.
Check out the pics of my 3000 mile new truck. 2 Lifters came apart and the cam is scored.
GM wants to replace cam and lifters. I told him not a chance! 2 options here, new engine or buy back. I am willing to go to the end now!
GM at it's finest. When you are broke. You will get your parts from who ever will have you. Inferior parts made it into a lot of their motors. Flip a coin and see what you get.....
Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is what you get when you go "net build" on your products. GM used to use a "select build" method until 1998 now it is all net build.
Kind of interesting the Arlington SUV plant shut down on Thursday along with all the local OTS's. Inventory levels have fallen. They can't get enough product in time to continue production.
The lifters were the updated versions. Including a recent update on the DOD's. I don't think it was a lifter problem.
When I showed up with a borescope and an alignment fixture the shop foreman was not going to let me take anymore pictures until the GM rep approved them!
The failed lifter bores were .095 out of alignment. Tilted to the rear at the base comparing to the deck. Two others were almost square, thats all I could do till I was stopped. Didn't want to make a scene. Too old for that.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Launching!

This is what you get when you go "net build" on your products. GM used to use a "select build" method until 1998 now it is all net build.
Kind of interesting the Arlington SUV plant shut down on Thursday along with all the local OTS's. Inventory levels have fallen. They can't get enough product in time to continue production.
The lifters were the updated versions. Including a recent update on the DOD's. I don't think it was a lifter problem.
When I showed up with a borescope and an alignment fixture the shop foreman was not going to let me take anymore pictures until the GM rep approved them!
The failed lifter bores were .095 out of alignment. Tilted to the rear at the base comparing to the deck. Two others were almost square, thats all I could do till I was stopped. Didn't want to make a scene. Too old for that.

Thanks for that info , good for you checking .it is your truck after all !!

......... good to know the lifters were the updated ones at least ...I have a new 2010 with 7000 miles so far ...........every day I listen for the "lifter noise "
Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

the shop foreman was not going to let me take anymore pictures until the GM rep approved them!
it's your truck...untill they make the payments you can do what you want to with it...
Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good news for a change, Dealer informed me GM will replace the engine with new engine. I told dealer when new engine arrives I want to inspect for correct castings. Do not want a parts replacement engine. They assured me it will be new. But they assured me from the beginning there was nothing wrong with the engine it was "normal noises". One of the bad things about all this is the company I work for has a combination of 20 of these trucks between 10's & 11's. Mine is the only one so far with any engine problems.
A couple have had problems turning the headlight lenses brown from heat but other than that nothing. (Those were already covered under warranty)
The only changes so far I have done to the truck is a prodigy ABS trailer brake controller. I am afraid to do anything else. Don't want to void my warranty!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow i am surprized the dealer took it apart. i have changed cam and lifters on many trucks from 06 to 2011 you are very luckey that they are replaceing the engine. did the lifter boars get dammaged? none of the gm dealers i worked at would every do this for you. they would just through cam and lifter in and thats that. i have changed lifters and cam on these trucks many times and it fixed the prob. the engines are built in seperate plant from assembly. gm has had this prob since 05. i have never seen 99 to 04 have cam and lifter probs. that why i bought used 02 z71. the replacement engine will be the one that is for that truck from gm parts catolog. the only way to tell if its realy a 5.3 is the pistions will be different. 4.8 and 5.3 come with different pistions. the new engne will have heads on you wont be able to tell without borascope. they look identiacal same heads block everthing.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
100 % true.
they take a look at the calibration number history with a tech2, any non-gm calibrations show up as 00000 rather than 1234567.

I have determined mine has a noisey wrist pin and I am f--KED for warranty.

It turns out, after some research and a check with a tech2 , the info I posted is incorrect.
My truck is back to stock and the calibration numbers are correct.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does that mean it is possible to go back to original calibration without footprint?

Quick Reply: 2011 silverado engine knocking @ 3k