Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

2011 silverado engine knocking @ 3k

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go up the ladder on the phone ! Call everyone you can. Take it to a different dealer.

I was in the market to update my 03 Silverado 4.8 5spd. but decided to take out the ol Piston Slap happy 4.8 and stuff in a forged 5.7 ( 402 as a backup ) with a 6 speed. Least that way I'll have what I want.

This is B S if GM can't get their **** together. Hate to say it but look at all the other offerings out there like ford, dodge, well ok, and the impoorts. Eh GM !
Old 04-01-2011, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not done with'em yet. Just hate all the knock knock jokes around the group at the track and at work. The Ford guys are the worst!
Been driving Chevys for too long now to switch to another brand. (imports? Argh!)
I have seen a couple of different ways to get this handled and with out a crank or rod hangin out it will just take a little time.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by spiro27
... the only other thing is to drain the oil drive it till it blows them fill it up with oil and then call roadside and you get new engine. make sure you fil it with oil before you call tow truck. to the full mark ...
Refill it with used oil.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jg53
ive never heard this?

can you explain some more of this?

Seriously? It has been a hot topic for at least 5 years. Has to do with carbon buildup on the piston tops. It was supposed to be fixed in like 2008...
Old 04-03-2011, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
GM went to a coated piston (piston skirt only) in 2004, my 03 Burb had horrible piston slap in cold weather. After it was tuned by BlackBear it has never happened again. My 04 Avalanche never had the problem. I am thinking your 2011 may have a lifter issue causing the noise, you should try a different dealer or GM customer service.
I'm not too sure bout all engines in 02 but,my 4.8 had coated tops and sides.The ls6\lq9 got the same treatment.So It would be fair to assume that possibly all ls engines of that year received coated pistons.

I would like to point out the possibility to tune the problem away.Try runnin some premium or a lil mix of race fuel for a tank or two.If the problem still carries on the same as before. Then theres a good chance the issue is mechanical.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM dealers now are required to send a snap shot of the ECU tune to GM warranty department anytime there is a drive train related failure or an emissions failure. They claim they can tell if a tune has been done even if the the unit has been returned to the factory defaults. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:57 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
GM went to a coated piston (piston skirt only) in 2004, my 03 Burb had horrible piston slap in cold weather. After it was tuned by BlackBear it has never happened again. My 04 Avalanche never had the problem. I am thinking your 2011 may have a lifter issue causing the noise, you should try a different dealer or GM customer service.
I believe that the LQ9 actually got the coated piston skirts in 03...
Old 04-04-2011, 01:51 AM
Baltimore Whore

Sounds like the all common piston slap.. It is due to the pistons having short piston skirts, they rock at the bottom of the stroke in the bore.. Alot of them do this, some don't. Gm will not warranty this.. I picked up a lq9 complete( disassembled) from my machinest because the owner of the 2003 escalade it cam out of thought for sure the engine was trash.. The engine spec'd out perfect, when it was checked, nothing wrong with it, the bore still had the crosshatching visible.. The brand new engine the guy put in the truck, did the same thing.. Does the noise ever go away??
Old 04-04-2011, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I believe that the LQ9 actually got the coated piston skirts in 03...
A few months back I took apart 2 LQ4 engines from a 03 Express and a 03 Silverado, neither had coated pistons. Yesterday I started tearing down a 02 5.3, no coated pistons. Maybe I should have worded my post different...I personally have only seen coated piston skirts in 04 and up engines.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RacinRust
I have tried to trade the vehicle at the same dealership where I purchased it. Used car manager told me the noise in the engine would keep him from even making a trade in offer for it! This thing has 3000 miles on it.

I would get the sales manager, the guy that sold you the truck, and the used car manager all together and work something out. That is f-kn ridiculous! .......I think lemon law steps in after 6 or 7 documented visits.

On another note like mentioned several times before it is probably just piston slap. Some do it worse than others. Mine make the piston slap noise when cold and even worse during the winter. After warm up mine goes away. GM says it doesn't have any negitive effects on the engine or its life. As annoying as the sound may be they seem to be right. I have 240k on my original 5.3l and it still runs strong.

Quick Reply: 2011 silverado engine knocking @ 3k