Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

2500HD stock tires suck in the mud! Need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jorday
The New mud terrain KMs are supposed to be all improved and what not. I wonder if they are any better than the ones you had or did you have the new version?
I had the old style, about a year before they changed.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my dad has 285/75/16's on his HD, and it clears perfect.. you might have to trim some of the plastic wheel well up front, but a couple cranks to the torision bar, you'll be set.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run the Goodyear M/TR's, they'll mop the floor with any tire short of the Super Swamper tires. They do hum a little. Very good manners on and off road. I run them on my stock rims with zero problems. I do a lot of highway driving and have been in SERIOUS mud holes. Even with the frame bottomed out, these tire pulled me out. If you want something less agressive, I've had very good luck with Bridgestone Dueler AT's. I did a lot of rock climbing and mudding with those also. If you're worried about going too big, a 265/75 R16 puts you right around 31" and that's what the Z71 comes with stock.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by silent1
I run the Goodyear M/TR's, they'll mop the floor with any tire short of the Super Swamper tires. They do hum a little. Very good manners on and off road. I run them on my stock rims with zero problems. I do a lot of highway driving and have been in SERIOUS mud holes. Even with the frame bottomed out, these tire pulled me out. If you want something less agressive, I've had very good luck with Bridgestone Dueler AT's. I did a lot of rock climbing and mudding with those also. If you're worried about going too big, a 265/75 R16 puts you right around 31" and that's what the Z71 comes with stock.
So you think they offer more traction in dirt/mud than the BFG mud terrains? Maybe I should just say screw the rims being too small and get the 285s anyway.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

when I had my Z71, I used 33" BFG All Terrains and they held up nicely in mud, water, sand, you name it.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jorday
So you think they offer more traction in dirt/mud than the BFG mud terrains? Maybe I should just say screw the rims being too small and get the 285s anyway.
The stock rims should be fine. My Goodyears are 305/70 R16 and are on stock rims. And yes, they're definitely better than BFG's. I did a lot of research before I bought them. I was originally going to get M/T Baja Claws until I saw the testing of the top 10 off road tires. The Baja Claws came in 7th and the M/TR's came in 3rd. The first two spots went to ths Super Swamper Boggers(the ultimate mud tire hands down) and the Super Swamper TSL's or SSR's, can't remember.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

MT/R are a better all around tire. I wouldnt say they smoke the BFG's, but they are better in winter conditions than the BFG. I would get a 285/75/16 on the stock wheels. I ran some on stock wheels for aqhile before my lift. The buldge on teh sidewalls a little, but not bad at all. I will try to post some pics tonight. They are on my home PC.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BADHD
MT/R are a better all around tire. I wouldnt say they smoke the BFG's, but they are better in winter conditions than the BFG. I would get a 285/75/16 on the stock wheels. I ran some on stock wheels for aqhile before my lift. The buldge on teh sidewalls a little, but not bad at all. I will try to post some pics tonight. They are on my home PC.
Yes, pics would be awesome, thanks. Is the cranking of the torsion bars a must with the 285/75 to keep them from rubbing, or will they clear without it?

I didn't know that the goodyears were better than the bfg, I guess I'll probably get them instead. I think that they are even a little bit cheaper than the bfg, too.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

MT/Rs are not a good mud tire. If you want a good mud tire, the best you can get in your size would be a BFG MT. I dont think any kind of super swamper will be good that small. They seem to not be big enough to have the tread spaced out like they should be.

MT/Rs stand for maximum traction radials, not mud. They are good rock crawling tires. They are soft and have a flexy sidewall. They are also known for being very hard to balance.

The BFG MT is a very good tire. They will definately be better in the mud, and will be quieter and last longer than probably any other MT out there. The only other tire Id say you may want to think about is the Procomp X-terrain. I was very happy with those when we had them on our suburban. we had 35s, and they were great. Very good in the mud and on the sand. and they were just as quiet as the 33" BFG ATs that we had on before.

I just noticed that you have a duramax. . . You may want to stick with a BFG because of the load ratings. Im almost positive the MT/R doesnt come in anything higher than a C load range. You can get the others in a D or even E depending on the size. But i guess it depends on whether or not you tow or anything like that
Old 12-10-2003, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess it comes down to a matter of preference. When I was doing a lift kit on my OBS Z71, every off roading shop I went to said the same thing: "**** on BFG's, they're POS tires." I've never had any myself but have had friends with them. They got stuck in mud and I didn't. Not good in mud? I can't tell, I did only mudding with these tires and NEVER had a problem or got stuck due to them not getting traction. The only time I got stock was from high centering and my truck was teeter-tottering front to back. Again, it comes down to what you feel more comfortable with. Both offer good traction but, IMO M/TR's are the clear winner.

Quick Reply: 2500HD stock tires suck in the mud! Need suggestions