Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

ABS and BRAKE light coming on all the time. have searched. Need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ABS and BRAKE light coming on all the time. have searched. Need help ASAP

Ok guys here is the scoop. I bought the truck about a month ago and 3 weeks ago both the ABS and BRAKE lights would come on together during driving. If I turn the truck off and turn it back on all is well. It was happening once every few days and with no regularity. Now its worse, comes on every time i drive the truck. OBD2 scanner shows no codes.

I have read several service bulletins that refer to a loose ground, I went through the driver side frame rail and tightned all the bolts it didnt help. Fluid level is good and I just flushed all of the fluid the other day.

I am running out of ideas and I have to tow a heavy trailer with all my stuff in it to Austin Monday. I dont want to drive down 35 with no ABS much less tow.

TIA,
Maksim
Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Same height tire on all 4 corners? I say this because I ran a tire that was taller than the fronts in the rear, and my lights would comeon
Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JoeGibbSilverado
Same height tire on all 4 corners? I say this because I ran a tire that was taller than the fronts in the rear, and my lights would comeon
Nope. 4 identical tires. Fronts appear to have slightly more wear than rears but that should not be an issue.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

Need to go have the codes pulled to know for sure. Could be as simple as cleaning/replacing a front wheel speed sensor or worse, the abs pump gone bad.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigKID
Need to go have the codes pulled to know for sure. Could be as simple as cleaning/replacing a front wheel speed sensor or worse, the abs pump gone bad.
I have an ELMscan tool. It is showing no codes stored or pending. Do I have to go to the dealer for diagnostic as I would rather not pay stupid amounts of money for them to hook up a computer.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Had the same problem. It is the ABS module. You can get a new one for like $900 or take it off and send it to ABSfixer. They will repair it for like $120. Just go to there website for all the info.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by azchevydude
Had the same problem. It is the ABS module. You can get a new one for like $900 or take it off and send it to ABSfixer. They will repair it for like $120. Just go to there website for all the info.
Damn. Thats pretty shitty. It says that you can drive without it though. I will probably get under there tonight, and take a closer look at the control module - might be something simple like cleaning the contacts.

Maksim
Old 08-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem mine was a speed sensor. Take out the sensor and see If there is any metal shavings that's could be throwing it off.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:45 PM
TECH Veteran

ABS module. Just had one replaced on my brothers truck that was causing the exact same problem.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS-Powered
I had the same problem mine was a speed sensor. Take out the sensor and see If there is any metal shavings that's could be throwing it off.
Originally Posted by ak2007r6
ABS module. Just had one replaced on my brothers truck that was causing the exact same problem.

Hmm. Well it seems that either:
a. its a simple issue like faulty plug or dirty sensors
b. its the ABS module.

Only one of these things can be fixed in time for my trip, guess this weekend I am going to check out the module closely, and pull all the wheels to clean/check sensors. Fortunatly those are easy to test, also probably a good time to repack all the grease fittings in the front end.

Quick Reply: ABS and BRAKE light coming on all the time. have searched. Need help ASAP