Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

ABS and parking brake light on. also low coolant light.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and parking brake light on. also low coolant light.

First thing is the ABS and parking brake light come on sometimes, more times than not. What causes this?

Also, the low coolant light comes on. I know it is full because I just had the engine out last weekend and it was totally filled up and is still full in the bottle(not full but to the line). What causes this? Maybe it needs a new sensor? It did this before the engine came out as well.

Garrett
Old 11-06-2015, 11:25 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

To be sure you would need to read the codes.

It's not un-common for the ground needing to be cleaned Or possibly for the module itself to fail. There are several companies that rebuild them. It's also possible the wires have become brittle and possibly one is broken.

If the bottle is nasty looking I would just replace the whole assembly. It's possible the sensor is stuck otherwise the sensor has failed or there is a broken wire somewhere.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:26 PM
Teching In

If I had to take a guess I would say the ABS/Parking brake light is a Wheel speed sensor issue. If you have or know someone with an OBDII code scanner w/ ABS functions give it a check next time it comes on. If it is intermitted most likely it is mudded up and needs a good brushing off. Not always the case but I have seen it correct the problem long term rather then just replacing it. Otherwise they are easy to replace and pretty cheap.

As for the coolant light, sensors are a good place to start. Ever notice coolant level decrease or engine running hot?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

My abs/brake lights are on and it is a common issue the solder joints inside the moduke crack and lose continuity... Two choices in my case at least, pull moduke out and apart and fix the solder joints, or buy a remaned ebcm.... Not to say its your issue but need a code reader than will pull abs codes
Old 11-07-2015, 08:24 AM
Teching In

My friend has a snap on scanner, I thought that would pull the code but when I checked it last Friday there were no codes. I will check with him and see if it does. Is there a wheel speed sensor and each wheel?

As for the coolant light, it is never low on coolant and doesn't ever run hot. Maybe I will pick up a new sensor and try that first.

Thanks.

Garrett
Old 11-07-2015, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get the light to come on or check history codes, key off resets abs lights and codes
Old 11-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

As mentioned there should be a code stored in the history. A Snap on scanner should be more than capable of reading the codes.

I wouldn't replace the wheel sensor without doing a little more digging first.

Is your vehicle Modified, Larger tires, Different gear ratios??? These things could also set off the light.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
As mentioned there should be a code stored in the history. A Snap on scanner should be more than capable of reading the codes.

I wouldn't replace the wheel sensor without doing a little more digging first.

Is your vehicle Modified, Larger tires, Different gear ratios??? These things could also set off the light.
Bone stock with 233k on the odometer. I'll try to go over and check it with the lights on tomorrow, I have to clean his driveway anyway.

Garrett
Old 11-07-2015, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Be willing to bet if its not coming on as soon as you start moving over 15 mph its an ebcm internal issue... Just my .02 on what ive seen..... I predict a c0265 with at least one other code for a valve or relay.... Mine will stay off for 5 or ten miles and my abs will work, then i will hit brajes again and it will come one, no wheel speed sensor codes all lack of power and valve codes
Old 11-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Teching In

sometimes it will come on almost as soon as I start the truck and others I can drive for miles and it won't come on.

Garrett

Quick Reply: ABS and parking brake light on. also low coolant light.