Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fuse that says ABS
Old 09-18-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 03chevyroyce
AllData FTW

it could possibly be a chipped or missing tooth on the reluctor also right Torque Wrench?
It could very well be a missing or damaged tooth on the reluctor. Most of the time though, when you test the speed sensor, you'll see a voltage drop on the sensor when it goes into operation and that tells you that the sensor is bad. But when you take the hub off, you can see the reluctor ring and tell if it's your problem.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, so if I see a random voltage drop, then its most likely the sensor. I guess then if I see a repeated voltage drop at the same point in the rotation, then its more than likely the reluctor ring, as that drop at the same point in the rotation would be where the tooth on the ring is damaged or busted.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

BudHayes is correct. It will cause all kinds of annomolies (**** I think I spelled that wrong) and all kinds of abs malfunctions. I feel it's best, with the situation and troubles youre having, is to throughly diagnose the ABS problem. I'd take it to a "Good" GM service Dept. and just be up front with them, and tell me' what kind of problems you're having and that you just want to pay for a diagnosis because if they can diagnose it, then you can simply buy the part and fix it yourself. You'll find that 90% of the time after telling them that, they will help you out.

If you need anymore help, you can always give me or any member here an shout.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 03 BLACKOUTSSS
Okay, so if I see a random voltage drop, then its most likely the sensor. I guess then if I see a repeated voltage drop at the same point in the rotation, then its more than likely the reluctor ring, as that drop at the same point in the rotation would be where the tooth on the ring is damaged or busted.
Correct! lol...although it'd be alot easier if you had a Signal Generator laying around the house...ha,ha,...
Old 09-18-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Correct! lol...although it'd be alot easier if you had a Signal Generator laying around the house...ha,ha,...
DAMN, I just got rid of the last one yesterday!! :Bang: I don't even know what that is, besides assuming from the name "Signal Generator"

On a side note, the problem still hasn't come back after it went away yesterday. I am starting to think that cleaning the surfaces may have fixed it, the truck just took a long time to realize that they were fixed?

I am keeping the multi-meter handy, and I just realized that my neighbor has a signal generator (its about 6 years old, and he talks alot) but he likes helping me work on the truck!!
Old 09-18-2009, 11:34 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DAMN, I just got rid of the last one yesterday!! :Bang: I don't even know what that is, besides assuming from the name "Signal Generator"

On a side note, the problem still hasn't come back after it went away yesterday. I am starting to think that cleaning the surfaces may have fixed it, the truck just took a long time to realize that they were fixed?

I am keeping the multi-meter handy, and I just realized that my neighbor has a signal generator (its about 6 years old, and he talks alot) but he likes helping me work on the truck!!
Nah, the ABS module would start functioning normally instantly. It is possible that there was a chunk of rust somehow lodged on one of the reluctor rings that flew off.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think that was the problem, the low speed ABS thing hasn't come back yet. I think the problem is fixed, YAY!!!

Edit: Its a real pain in the *** to diagnose that when you have a master cylinder that is taking a **** also.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Ha,ha,ha,...lol that was f*ckin' funny!...yeah those type of Signal Generators can be annoying but quite entertaining at the same time. They do make good "Wrench Getters".

Anywho...like Budhayes said, it may have indeed been a chunk of rust that just came off. You really gotta clean the **** out of those mounting surfaces though....I mean grind like hell. If not it can be intermittant.