Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

AC Compressor & Tensioner w/ Rattle/Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Compressor & Tensioner w/ Rattle/Chatter

I have been experiencing a rattle/chattering noise when the AC compressor is engaged. I looked down at the tensioner when the AC compressor was engaged and found it was bouncing up and down. Is my AC compressor going out or can this problem be fixed any other way? I really hope its not going bad because replacing these things is NOT cheap. Could the AC compressor not be engaging and have clutch chatter due to it needing to be recharged?

OR

Should I look to replace the AC compressor soon?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

does it only rattle with the compressor engaged, mine did that and all it was, was a screwed up belt, but it did it all the time though. sounded kinda like a lifter tappin, not sure if that helps, but good luck
Old 07-02-2008, 11:39 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could just be the tensioner, mine sounded like a jack hammer with the compressor engaged. Checked around with a stethoscope and found the noise to be coming from the tensioner. Replaced it with a new one and it's been good ever since

(The compressor can make a noise like you describe also, but hopefully it's the tensioner)
Old 07-03-2008, 05:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you look at your tensionor, it should have 2 stops on it to keep it within a certain range of motion. Alot of times they break off and you lose tension on your belt... but it sounds to me like you a bent valve in your compressor... If and when you do replace your compressor, drain the oil out of it and the accumalator... that is what caused it.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

I had a Yukon come in that was like that. The compressor was going bad, the high side was only like 100-120 pounds and the low side was 60-70 pounds in the afternoon heat sitting in a shop with minimal circulation. Evidently the compressor was pulling harder and stretching the belt enough to where the tensioner couldn't keep it tight and it would start to chatter and slip the belt and it would squeal. Customer didn't want to do anything about it so I can't say for sure that it was all the compressor but it was deffinitely going bad. Those tensioners really don't have much tension on them anyway, even when new.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It only makes this noise (like artypyro said a lifter tappin) when the compressor is engaged. It hasn't gotten so bad as to where it sounds like a jack hammer or anything that bad.
I guess I will first try a new tensioner and belt and hopefully this will solve the problem.
I hope it is the tensioner, it is bouncing back and forth quite a bit when engaged.

If this does not fix the problem, the I will obviously have to replace the AC compressor. I have heard that to properly replace the AC compressor it a PITA. Is there any truth to this?

Thank everyone
Old 07-03-2008, 12:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abbo7
If this does not fix the problem, the I will obviously have to replace the AC compressor. I have heard that to properly replace the AC compressor it a PITA. Is there any truth to this?

Thank everyone
I haven't replaced a compressor on one of these trucks, but it doesn't look bad. Only problem is that you're *supposed* to evacuate and recycle the R-34 refrigerant before opening up the system, and after the compressor has been replaced, you MUST bring the system into a vacuum with an adequate vacuum pump for about 15 minutes, to burn out any moisture that may have entered. After that has been done, you can recharge the system.