Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

AC freon leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:40 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC freon leak?

I had to replace the compressor a couple of weeks ago. Vacuumed the system, filled the new comp with oil, replaced compressor, vacuumed again and then added the freon. Blew cold and I was on the road. Fast forward a week. The Tahoe hasn’t been started since the drive home after the AC swap. Now it won’t blow cold. I hear the compressor kick on but it doesn't blow cold. Not hot, pretty much just a few * below ambient temps.

I verified the tq on the ac lines (12lb/ft) and they are good. The AC blew ice cold before the compressor swap, the bearings or clutch were really noisy, that's why I swapped it. I don't think there could be a leak anywhere other than the compressor because it's the only thing that was changed.

My only guess is there are O rings on the AC lines? I didn't look.
Maybe I lost one or damaged one on install? Can't think of any other reason I would be getting warm air other than the freon is gone.

Ideas?
Old 09-03-2007, 04:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you also replace the orifice screen at the same time as the compressor? also your accumulator may be full of oil too. either way you'll have to recover the refrigerant again so if you have a scale you can monitor how much you will pull out next time.

Last edited by WODY; 09-03-2007 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

you need to remove your compressor, and reciever drier. Take both of them and dump all of the oil you can out of them. With what you added to the system, it is way overfull and not letting the gas do what it is designed to do.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by WODY
did you also replace the orifice screen at the same time as the compressor? also your accumulator may be full of oil too. either way you'll have to recover the refrigerant again so if you have a scale you can monitor how much you will pull out next time.
Dont know what the oriice screen is so I will have to say it wasnt replaced. The compressor was a complete unit so if it's internal to the compressor it should be good.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Grumpy4.8
you need to remove your compressor, and reciever drier. Take both of them and dump all of the oil you can out of them. With what you added to the system, it is way overfull and not letting the gas do what it is designed to do.
When I pulled the old compressor I drained it. Then added the same amount (about 1.5oz) to the new compressor which was shipped dry. I did not pull the reciever/dryer at all.
It was blowing ice cold for the 30 minute drive home. Then it sat a week and now it blows warm. If it was overfilled with oil shouldn't it have blown warm on the way home?

I am going to have to go back and have the system vacuumed again and see if the right amount is in there. IF its low then I have a leak, if its still full then I will have to go from there.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

The orifice screen is not in the compressor. It is in one of the lines probably near the accumulator. If my brain is working right I'm thinking it is the separator from the high to the low side. I'm not sure exactly where it is located on these because I haven't had one apart. The screen is there to act as a filter so if the compressor takes a it will stop most of the debris from going throughout the system.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Junkie

I heard recently when you have a system properly vacuumed that it also pulls all of the oil out of the system if I was understanding correctly. So you would need to have filled the system with the proper amount of oil for the entire system (not sure what amount that is). If you didn't get enough oil in the system you may have damaged the seals on the new compressor already and that may be your leak. You really need to get some gauges on there and see what your pressures are to start with.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:37 AM

Well that doesn't make any sense to me. If vacuuming the sytem pulls the oil as well, then when I add new oil and vacuum again before the freon install I would be pulling all the oil I just out in
If I add oil after the vacuum but before the freon then I am letting moisture in.

Are there O rings in the AC lines where they connect to the compressor?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

When you vacuum the system it will only pull a small amount of oil out. Unless you physically drain the compressor you wont get it all out. It sounds to me like the orifice tube is plugged or getting plugged. If you shelled a compressor beforehand, and didnt replace the orifice tube. Its probably all full of bearing material. Its in the line by the dryer. The longer the vacuum time the better overall!!!!!!!!!! Might want to check and see also that the old o-rings were NOT reused on the lines at the rear of the compressor. That can of course cause you issues.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:45 PM

Well, I didnt replace any O rings or filters at all. I pulled the old and installed the new. The only lines I messed with were the two with 13mm bolts.

So each line has a recessed O ring in it I assume?
I don't have a line running from the back of the compressor.
So the filter screen is in one of the lines? Can I pull it and clean it?

Quick Reply: AC freon leak?