Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

AC freon leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the oil in the compressor look like brand new motor oil? I did see some of that under the truck. Its been raining all week here so I havent crawled under to see what it might be. Maybe the compressor oil leaked out. Would this also cause the freon to leak out if there was an oil leak?
Old 09-03-2007, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the orifice screen is found near the accumulator/drier there is a fitting and you'll see a crimp in the line. if you do it be careful and try not to break the tab off cuz if that happens you'll have to pull the evaporator. on most machines the oil is only drained if you allow it to (with a switch,or answer "yes" when is asks you if you want to drain it).

this is the oil we use at the shop, its a good idea to lube the new o rings for a better seal.

Last edited by WODY; 09-03-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Ester is normally used in piston/stand-up style compressors or retros/top-offs. Our truck compressors, orbital compressor, takes PAG150.

Slow,

The oil is sometimes clear to a brown color. Green if it has tracer dye already in it. Look at your compressor and see if its wet or oily anywhere. Also, if at all possible. Get your system sucked down and replace the o-rings at the compressor. Sometimes you can mooch off the o-ring kit at any place that does a/c work. Its best to replace the orifrice tube, not clean it. They are fiarly cheap and NAPA, AutoZone carry them. That little tube serves the same function as an expansion valve in the a/c system. Which essentially regulates refirgerant flow to the evaporator.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:20 PM

I assume I have to drain the sytem before I can replace the screen? I will do that and replace the O rings. Top off the freon and check again. I will post up if I find the problem. Maybe even some pics, lol.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
I assume I have to drain the sytem before I can replace the screen? I will do that and replace the O rings. Top off the freon and check again. I will post up if I find the problem. Maybe even some pics, lol.
Yea. Youll have to suck it down (recover) before you can break the lines lose.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:44 PM

Anybody know the part numbers or what exactly I need to ask for at the Autozone counter?
O-rings?
Screen?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

what i would do it call the parts dept. at chevy and give them your vin and get part numbers for the orifice tube and o rings then finding parts should be very easy. also see if autozone or where ever has a orifice tube removal tool.

Last edited by WODY; 09-03-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WODY
what i would do it call the parts dept. at chevy and give them your vin and get part numbers for the orifice tube and o rings then finding parts should be very easy. also see if autozone or where ever has a orifice tube removal tool.

That thing is needed alot of times.

Slow,

Be careful pulling that tube out of there!
Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
Slow,

Be careful pulling that tube out of there!
yup. like i said above. if you break the tabs off you'll have to pull the evaporator.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
I had to replace the compressor a couple of weeks ago. Vacuumed the system, filled the new comp with oil, replaced compressor, vacuumed again and then added the freon. Blew cold and I was on the road. Fast forward a week. The Tahoe hasn’t been started since the drive home after the AC swap. Now it won’t blow cold. I hear the compressor kick on but it doesn't blow cold. Not hot, pretty much just a few * below ambient temps.

I verified the tq on the ac lines (12lb/ft) and they are good. The AC blew ice cold before the compressor swap, the bearings or clutch were really noisy, that's why I swapped it. I don't think there could be a leak anywhere other than the compressor because it's the only thing that was changed.

My only guess is there are O rings on the AC lines? I didn't look.
Maybe I lost one or damaged one on install? Can't think of any other reason I would be getting warm air other than the freon is gone.

Ideas?

lol...ha,ha,ha,...Hey bro I ain't laughin' at you....I'm just laughing because the ol' AC Monster rears it's ugly head again! Really, you should ask Dewmanshu about this...he's went through the mill on his AC system. I helped him out when his did the very same thing and it ended up being a leak on the back of the compreeor around the compressor main shaft. Just an internal failure and can really side track you. So check this out first!

Quick Reply: AC freon leak?