Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

AC freon leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope its not the compressor.

I got the rubber O rings today. They will have the orifice tube tomorrow. The tool...I will have to see if my local shop has one. I think they are about $10 if I need to buy one.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before you go and do a bunch of work, why don't you get some pressures and post them up? The pressures will help diagnose the problem. A leak test would be good too.

I agree that the orifice tube should have been replaced with the new compressor. The accumulator / drier is usually replaced whenever the system is opened, too. However, if you replace the orifice tube but your problem is actually a leak on the new compressor, you're going to be back to square one next week, and have to spend even more money on freon.

Test for leaks and check your pressures. Post up your results and you will get some better recommendations on how to solve the problem right the first time.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

orifice tube removal tool??? what ever happened to a pair of needle nose pliers? worked fine on my 95 S-10
Old 09-06-2007, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Yogi Bear
Before you go and do a bunch of work, why don't you get some pressures and post them up? The pressures will help diagnose the problem. A leak test would be good too.

I agree that the orifice tube should have been replaced with the new compressor. The accumulator / drier is usually replaced whenever the system is opened, too. However, if you replace the orifice tube but your problem is actually a leak on the new compressor, you're going to be back to square one next week, and have to spend even more money on freon.

Test for leaks and check your pressures. Post up your results and you will get some better recommendations on how to solve the problem right the first time.
like i stated before...when he evacuates the system he'll know if there is less than when he charged it. if that is the case then he could always pressurize the system with nitrogen. if it is a large leak, it will be audible, if it is a small leak soap water and a spray bottle will find it.

Originally Posted by Nick™
orifice tube removal tool??? what ever happened to a pair of needle nose pliers? worked fine on my 95 S-10
needle nose pliers work fine as long as you don't break the tab off, then you'll be replacing the evaporator.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
Dont know what the oriice screen is so I will have to say it wasnt replaced. The compressor was a complete unit so if it's internal to the compressor it should be good.

ITS IN THE TUBE COMING OFF THE ACCUMULATOR TANK... GOING TO THE CONDENSER. RIGHT WHERE THAT NUT CONNECTS THE 2 LINES TOGETHER, THATS WHERE ITS AT.... SHOULD BE BETWEEN THE ACCUM BOTTLE AND THE SERVICE VALVE
Old 09-07-2007, 09:23 PM

Spent all day on this stupid thing.

Short version:
Both the high side and low side service ports were leaking. Replaced the ball valve on the high side and then the %@!* low side needle valve popped as I pulled the freon machine hose off.
Anyway, I replaced the rubber O rings on the conpressor connections as well. I guess I will know in a few days if it is all holding.

Oh yea, pressure was 44 on the low and 220 on the high.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Spent all day on this stupid thing.

Short version:
Both the high side and low side service ports were leaking. Replaced the ball valve on the high side and then the %@!* low side needle valve popped as I pulled the freon machine hose off.
Anyway, I replaced the rubber O rings on the conpressor connections as well. I guess I will know in a few days if it is all holding.

Oh yea, pressure was 44 on the low and 220 on the high.
So you got it?? Pressures sound good though.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:12 AM

Seems that way. I will have to wait a few days and see if it is still blowing cold.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Seems that way. I will have to wait a few days and see if it is still blowing cold.
Anybody have a sniffer you could use? Was there tracer dye in the PAG oil you used?
Old 09-08-2007, 01:02 PM

Not that I know of. The shop I was working at said they see those service port valves go bad all the time. I ran it today and it was cold. I would think even a slow leak would have leaked down overnight.

Quick Reply: AC freon leak?