Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

AC is starting to stink

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC is starting to stink

Has anybody experienced this? It is starting to smell like mildew whenever I turn on the AC. And this is only when the truck has been sitting for a long time. Could this be from the inside filter? Don't know if it is equiped with this or not but I am thinking that it is.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AC is starting to stink

Mine recently started doing this also. I'll bet it is mildew formed from the condensation left in the system after running the A/C.

Someone tell us how to fix this please

Tony
Old 07-17-2003, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

My friend's Camaro (99) has some kind of timing device on it that kicks the blower fan on for a few seconds. Guess this was supposed to cure that problem. Why they didn't do this on the trucks is a mystery to me.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here you go!!

Interior - New Odor Elimination Product

File In Section: 00 General Information

Bulletin No.: 00-00-89-027A

Date: January, 2002

INFORMATION

Subject:
Eliminating Unwanted Odors in Vehicles

Models:
2002 and Prior Passenger Cars and Trucks

This bulletin is being revised to change the product name, ordering information and usage. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-00-89-027 (Section 00 - General Information).

New Product Release

A new product has been tested which may control or eliminate odors in the interior and luggage compartment areas of GM vehicles. GM Vehicle Care Odor Eliminator (formerly Atmosklear Heavy Duty Odor Eliminator) is a non-toxic, biodegradable odor remover. This odorless product has been shown to greatly reduce or remove objectionable smells of mold and mildew resulting from vehicle water leaks (as well as customer created odors, i.e. smoke). You may use GM Vehicle Care Odor Eliminator on fabrics, vinyl, leather, carpet and sound deadening materials. It may also be induced into HVAC modules and instrument panel ducts (for the control of non-bacterial related odors).

Important : This product leaves no residual scent and should not be sold as or considered an air freshener. Product action may result in the permanent elimination of an odor and may be preferable to customers with allergies who are sensitive to perfumes.

How to Use This Product

GM Vehicle Care Odor Eliminator may be sprayed on in a ready-to-use formula or used in steam cleaners as an additive with carpet shampoo. This water-based, odorless product is safe for all vehicle interiors. Do not wet or soak any interior surface that plain water would cause to deteriorate, as this product will have the same effect. Also avoid letting this product come into contact with vinegar or any acidic substance. Acid-based products will hamper the effectiveness of, or render GM Vehicle Care Odor Eliminator inert. Instructions and cautions are printed on the bottle, but additional help is available. If you encounter a difficult to eliminate or reoccurring odor, you may call 1-800-955-8591 (in Canada, 1-800-977-4145) to obtain additional information and usage suggestions.

Important : This product may effectively remove odors when directly contacting the odor source. It should be used in conjunction with diagnostic procedures (in cases such as a water leak) to first eliminate the root cause of the odor, and then the residual odor to permanently correct the vehicle condition.

{b]And some more[/b]
A/C - Odor Emission in Hot Weather

File In Section: 01 - HVAC

Bulletin No.: 99-01-39-004A

Date: May, 2001

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Air Conditioning Odor (Install Kit)

Models:
1993-2002 Passenger Cars
1993-2002 Light & Medium Duty Trucks

This bulletin is being revised to update the model years, service procedure, parts information and to add the GEO and Medium Duty models. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-01-39-004 (Section 01 - HVAC).

Condition

Some customers may comment on odors emitted from the air conditioning system, primarily at start-up in hot humid climates.

Cause

This odor may be the result of microbial growth on the evaporator core. When the blower motor fan is turned on, the microbial growth may release an unpleasant, musty odor into the passenger compartment. There are several other possible sources of a musty odor in a vehicle. A common source is a water leak. Follow the Service Manual procedure for identifying and correcting water leaks if other odor sources are found. The procedure contained in this bulletin is only applicable if the source of the odor has already been determined to be the HVAC module.

Correction

To remove odors of this type, it is necessary to eliminate the microbial growth and prevent its reoccurrence. To accomplish this, the following steps must be completed:

1. Apply evaporator core Cooling Coil Coating
(Aerosol 6 oz), P/N 12377951 (AC Delco(R) 15-102)
(in Canada, use P/N 10953503) or Cooling Coil
Coating Kit with Extension Nozzle, P/N 12346391
(AC Delco(R) 10-120).

Refills are available for the Cooling Coil Coating
Kit with Extension Nozzle, P/N 12346391
(AC Delco(R) 10-120). Refer to the chart below.

2. Install the Electronic Evaporator Dryer, P/N 12497910 (AC Delco(R) 15-5876).

Important : The Cooling Coil Coatings listed above are the only GM approved products for the disinfection and long-term control of evaporator microbial growth. The Cooling Coil Coating will disinfect the evaporator core and help inhibit the growth of future mold and mildew.

The Electronic Evaporator Dryer will activate when the ambient temperature near the module is above 16°C (60°F) when the vehicle is started up. Approximately 30 minutes after the vehicle has been turned off, the blower will activate for 10 seconds every 10 minutes for 2 hours unless the vehicle is restarted. If a restart occurs, the Electronic Evaporator Dryer module will reset automatically. This on/off blower activation will dry the evaporator core and case reducing the chance of reoccurring A/C odor. The Electronic Evaporator Dryer is self fused and has a battery rundown protection feature that inactivates the dryer if voltage drops below 12.5 volts.

Service Procedure

1. Visually inspect the air conditioning evaporator drain hose for obstructions and/or working condition.

2. The cooling coil coating fluid must be applied to a dry evaporator core. Apply coil coating fluid as described in the instructions supplied with the kit. In some instances, the blower motor resistor can be removed for this spraying operation. If used, the opening can be taped over and the nozzle inserted through a hole in the tape. The kit instructions identify a drilling procedure to apply the coating fluid. When using this type of procedure, care must be taken to avoid evaporator damage and any holes must be properly sealed. Some coating fluid may overflow from the drain hose.

Important : When installing the Electric Evaporator Module, you MUST use the included electrical splice connectors to ensure a splice.

3. Complete detailed installation instructions and wire connectors are supplied with the Electronic Evaporator Dryer. The ground wire should be attached to a body ground source. If any other wire splicing procedures are needed, follow the wire repair procedures in the Electrical sub-section of Body & Accessories in the appropriate Service Manual. If required, the evaporator dryer can be installed underhood away from extreme heat conditions (i.e. exhaust manifolds) and/or water splash areas. In all cases, the evaporator dryer module must be secured with a Velcro(R) strip (not included in the kit), or you may use the integral hooks to utilize tie straps. Using a Velcro(R) strip is preferred as the use of the integral hooks may cause rattles.

4. When the installation procedure is complete and power is supplied, the module will self-test. Thirty seconds after power is supplied, the high blower speed will be activated 3 times (for 2 seconds per cycle). When the test has run, install the Electronic Evaporator Dryer label on the blower motor case in a visible area.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think you explained that good enough. Anyway you can get a better write up?
Just messin with ya, good info Greg.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, Greg. Where did you find all that info from?
Old 07-17-2003, 03:38 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula

After I turn off the A/C, I put on the heat on full blast for 30 seconds to kill that musty smell. Works for me.
I think some guys open the vent and turn on the fan then spray Lysol from the outside so it goes through.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

After I turn off the A/C, I put on the heat on full blast for 30 seconds to kill that musty smell. Works for me.
I think some guys open the vent and turn on the fan then spray Lysol from the outside so it goes through.
i gunna have to try out the heater trick out...mine stinks when i have had it on and then dont use it.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, Greg. Where did you find all that info from?
Alldata Pretty good info for our trucks. You can get a subsription for like $20 a year. It's not nearly as detailed as a Helm manual, but it's good for RPO's and TSB and electrical stuff.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

I know that some of the new GM trucks have cabin aif filters. When they get dirty a lot of people complain about a mildew smell with the AC. Might want to check.