Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Another **Wont Start** **No Spark**

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another **Wont Start** **No Spark**

Ok guys another one of these post. I put a 5.3 60E in a 70 chevy. I went to try to start it and it wont start. I come to realize that it has no spark. I have checked the grounds. I have the two grounds that hook up in the back of the truck, and I also have that dreadful one that is just under the power steering pump. How many grounds are there. from some post i Read 3 around the engine and from a post from thunder550 he says 5 so which on is it?

The other thing is that I have read the flyer thread:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...+spark&page=13

And there is some good info on testing the coils but really it is just a little to advanced for me. I am running out of ideas who can help. The other thing to mention is that I re-did the harness to the truck. I took my time and was very careful... and everything seems to be working when I hook it up to the scanner, Throttle, O2, MAP,
Old 10-10-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does it crank then die? I mean like for maybe a split second or two?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:14 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had three grounds at the top of the engine in the back (two from the harness, one that goes to the firewall), and two down low behind the power steering pump (one of these was the battery ground, and one from the harness).
Old 10-10-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LowBlack99
Does it crank then die? I mean like for maybe a split second or two?
No.. it will keep on cracking.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by desTRUCKtive
No.. it will keep on cracking.
Ok well that rules out the Security lockdown.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunder550
I had three grounds at the top of the engine in the back (two from the harness, one that goes to the firewall), and two down low behind the power steering pump (one of these was the battery ground, and one from the harness).
Chris this is what you mean right?
-One will connect to the firewall
-Two will connect from the harness in the back to the block
-Then two will connect under the power steering pump.

Ok then I am missing one, because I have two connected by the power steering pump and then two connected at the back of the engine. The one missing has to be in the back somewhere.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:04 PM
High on diesel fumes

Chris this is what you mean right?
-One will connect to the firewall
-Two will connect from the harness in the back to the block
-Then two will connect under the power steering pump.

Ok then I am missing one, because I have two connected by the power steering pump and then two connected at the back of the engine. The one missing has to be in the back somewhere.
Yeah, on the back of the engine I had one ground strap that went to the firewall and two grounds that go into the harness.

On the side I had the big ground wire from the battery and another ground wire that went into the harness.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunder550
Yeah, on the back of the engine I had one ground strap that went to the firewall and two grounds that go into the harness.
The third is the ground strap hmmm. I dont have that one. I just have the two that are both going to the firewall. I checked both of the grounds from the harness and the firewall is supplying ground. You think that I should try to ground it the same way like the our style pickups???
Old 10-10-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The third is the ground strap hmmm. I dont have that one. I just have the two that are both going to the firewall. I checked both of the grounds from the harness and the firewall is supplying ground. You think that I should try to ground it the same way like the our style pickups???
Can't hurt to try.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:20 PM
High on diesel fumes

I would. Without that ground strap, the ground path for the coils has to go through the heads or block (depending on where you have it bolted to) and out the battery ground on the other side of the block. I tried starting my truck without the battery ground hooked to the block but with the ground strap on the firewall and it would crank slowly and not fire. I would imagine you're having a similar issue, just reversed.