Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Another Vibration thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Vibration thread

Well this has been going on since before I got the 35 inch toyo m/ts but its alot more obvious with the tires. Anyways between 65-75 mph I have a pretty harsh vibration not in the steering wheel but the whole truck, I can look over at the passenger seat and see it shaking, but its smooths out faster then 75 mph and isnt noticeable below 65. Also going over bumps I hear a clunk from my front end? I know I need a pitman arm and idler arm, so should I replace inner/outter tie rods and ball joints, maybe wheel bearings?
Old 03-27-2009, 05:37 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My truck is a 99, and I used to have a vibration right around 60-65, that went away when I went faster also. After I lowered the truck the vibration went away, making me think that something was out of whack with the pinion angle from the factory, or at least, changing the pinion angle cured my problem. Might be something to look at.

As for your steering components, check them for play, if they're good and tight, you shouldn't need to replace them. If you want to do the tie rods due to mileage and for piece of mind that's your call. If your wheel bearings don't have any play and aren't making any noise, you shouldn't have to mess with them either.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take your truck to a Tire Shop that has a Road Force Balancer. The road force balancer will balance the wheel and tire with pressure aplied that replicates actual road force conditions. The Balancer will also tell you if you have a bad tire or a warp or defect in the wheels. It's very handy on oversized tires or large diameter wheels. Mine has already paid for itself.