Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Anyone delete EVAP from their truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone delete EVAP from their truck?

Just wondering if anyone here has deleted the complete EVAP system from their NBS trucks?
I just did an LSX-R swap and do not want to drill a hole for nor mount the EVAP purge solenoid onto it... so I started looking into ditching it, and it seems a lot of people have too, mostly f-body owners.
Also I'm going next week for another dyno tune so I'll just ask my tuner to get rid of codes.
I know this emission system isn't robbing power or anything, and definitely more eco friendly, so I retain it on my daily driver Sierra, but the Silvy is just a summertime weekend warrior.

So, anyone happen to have photos or more details?

I'm pretty sure I could just cut off the hose under the hood and stick in a little pcv type cone filter, but now I'm wondering more about just ditching the whole system?
How hard is it to get the entire line from engine to tank out?
Does it matter if I have the return style fuel system?
How about removing charcoal canister? Will I have to lift the bed or drop the tank to do that?

Any help or detailed tips are much appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in for info... was wondering the same thing when i dropped my tank this past weekend
Old 08-06-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

You cannot actually delete the EVAP system like you can O2 sensors. None of the tuning suites have the capability to change the values for EVAP to something that will set a System OK in OBDII. You can delete all the codes for it though, but what you will see at the inspection station is EVAP System- Not Ready.

If your state's inspection laws permit, you may be able to pass with one incomplete test.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

don't have that problem here. pretty much visual inspection, well atleast the few places i have gone.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TexasSuperChevy
don't have that problem here. pretty much visual inspection, well atleast the few places i have gone.
You're getting an OBDII Emissions check whenever you go somewhere in Texas. Read Page 14 of this document:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/.../OBD_guide.pdf

Remember Effective October 15, 2008:
For vehicles year model 2001 and newer, we allow one (1) non-continuous monitor to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but two (2) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.
For vehicles year model 1996 – 2000, we allow two (2) non-continuous monitors to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but three (3) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.
As far as ShredSled goes...he's got it good. Michigan does not have any inspection at all, LOL.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I deleted that stuff years ago
Old 08-07-2013, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I live in Maryland and my solinoid is only plugged it to not give a code.. the evap hose has been capped since before I bought the truck
Old 08-08-2013, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

For those that have removed it - is it a PITA to fill your truck up now at the gas station? Isn't this used as a vent for the fuel tank?
Old 08-08-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SYRacing
For those that have removed it - is it a PITA to fill your truck up now at the gas station? Isn't this used as a vent for the fuel tank?
Well I was thinking of just putting a little PCV style vent filter with a 1 way check ball in it onto the cutoff line, whereever I decide to cut it all off...
I haven't had a good chance yet to see how much wrestling it'll take to get everything off.

And yeah, haha, no emissions testing/inspection for us in the Mitten! Motor city ftw! Haha really it's probably cuz we're too damn poor of a state to bother.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SYRacing
The EVAP system has nothing to do with tank venting for a fill. You have a vent line from the tank up to the fill port. Big hose for fuel, small hose for vapors.