Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Anyone running a completely custom fuel system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Un-Registered User

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chevrolade
I have a fuel cell feeding -8 line into aero motive a1000 pump to regulator and -6 return line
You got any pics? What intake and rails are you running? Trying to get some ideas on how to run the line to the rails and the regulator. Also, what kind of pressure are you running?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:20 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfarlnd
I think I might be out of luck on return-less? I would prefer to go that route if it's possible with the stuff I currently have. I read your write-up, though. Good stuff.
No, the name "returnless" is a bit deceiving. There is a return, its just in the tank so you never see it.

With the stuff you currently have attach the pump directly to the outlet of the cell, straight to the regulator, have the regulator immediately return the excess to the cell, and the other end flow directly to the input on the fuel rail.

This has the advantage of keeping the fuel cooler, and great simplifies hose routing and the engine compartment routing. Disadvantage of having to pass all of the fuel through the regulator. Depending on your power goals and regulator, this may or may not be an issue.

What are your power goals and how do you plan to get there? (NA, nitrous, FI, etc.)
Old 03-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Un-Registered User

Originally Posted by Atomic
No, the name "returnless" is a bit deceiving. There is a return, its just in the tank so you never see it.

With the stuff you currently have attach the pump directly to the outlet of the cell, straight to the regulator, have the regulator immediately return the excess to the cell, and the other end flow directly to the input on the fuel rail.

This has the advantage of keeping the fuel cooler, and great simplifies hose routing and the engine compartment routing. Disadvantage of having to pass all of the fuel through the regulator. Depending on your power goals and regulator, this may or may not be an issue.

What are your power goals and how do you plan to get there? (NA, nitrous, FI, etc.)
No real power goal. N/A. When I put the parts together, I just wanted to completely rebuild the motor with practically new everything for dependability. I did use 4.8 pistons for the added compression, cam and using the victor jr. more for the "look". I am trying to make the motor look as close to a carb. motor as possible. I guess it will hit at least the 340 mark. Essintially a fresh flat top 5.3 with cam/minimal head work/intake/LT's/5spd.

A lot of the drawings I'm seeing show a supply line from the pump to a "y". From the "y" two lines go to the back of the rails (one for each rail). On the front of the rail, again two lines come off (one for each rail) and go to each side of the regulator. Then from the regulator, a line returns back to the tank. Seems like a lot of un-needed braided line.q

The way you state to hook up the regulator, I am basically putting it inline directly after the pump? Correct? So I would need route a vacuum line all the way to the back where the regulator is? Will that be an issue? Also, I would connect the two rails at the front?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:43 AM
I have a gauge for that

Yea, its a bit wasteful unless you absolutely need 2000hp worth of fuel. Im shooting for 1000 crank hp and am using single -8 feed to the back of one rail, crossover, then -8 to the reg from the end of the other rail.

That is correct. You dont have to have a vacuum reference, especially since you arent going FI, just make sure your tuner knows this.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Un-Registered User

Yea, its a bit wasteful unless you absolutely need 2000hp worth of fuel. Im shooting for 1000 crank hp and am using single -8 feed to the back of one rail, crossover, then -8 to the reg from the end of the other rail. And -6 or -8 whatever I have left over to run the return from the regulator to the tank. Does the return need to be lower than the regulator to go back to the tank, or will there be enough pressure bleed off to force it back to the tank?

That is correct. You dont have to have a vacuum reference, especially since you arent going FI, just make sure your tuner knows this.
Ok. So, I will do -8 from the fuel cell to the first filter/pump/second filter(assembled together in that order as an assy.) -6 to the regulator. -6 from the regulator to the left rail. Crossover from the left rail to the right and the back of the right rail will have my pressure gauge. How does that sound? Any recommendations on a regulator?

As for the tune, that will be me as well. What will be different about it? Maybe flow rate vs. kpa? Or offset vs. volts vs. kpa? Under injector control in HP tuners. Seems like those are the only tables I can find that has to do with fuel and vacuum. Will be doing a open loop/SD/MAF-less tune. Obviously I will be "deleting" a lot of dtc's for evap, fuel system components that are not needed.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:42 PM
I have a gauge for that

Right, the fuel flow vs kpa will be the same value across the board as opposed to increasing with vacuum

Aeromotive, magnafuel, and fuel lab all have nice regulators
Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Un-Registered User

Right, the fuel flow vs kpa will be the same value across the board as opposed to increasing with vacuum

Aeromotive, magnafuel, and fuel lab all have nice regulators
Thanks for the help.