Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Anyone running the Ebay stainless pre-bent brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 565 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by skolman91
GM= not stainless, but whatever floats your boat of supporting them..
If you can give any reason why the stainless are better than the coated, then maybe they would be worth the cost. But I can't think of anything.

125-150 bucks beats 250+ any day all day and every day that ends in Y.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

When someone makes junk and they know it like mentioned, and wont do anything about it even tho its a fairly big safety issue. I find that reason enough not to give them anymore of my money to fix something that shouldnt need fixing..
But your right cheap is cheap, i mean nothing bad could come of always using and buying the cheapest stuff right..?
Old 09-15-2015, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Called the local dealer, they have them in stock for $111.00. Going to pick them up later today.

When someone makes junk and they know it like mentioned, and wont do anything about it even tho its a fairly big safety issue. I find that reason enough not to give them anymore of my money to fix something that shouldnt need fixing..
But your right cheap is cheap, i mean nothing bad could come of always using and buying the cheapest stuff right..?
I'm confident that these new lines will most likely outlast the truck, even though they are "cheap"

I wouldn't necessarily say buying them from GM is supporting the company, I'm sure they're not making much money off the sales. They DO know they're junk, but it was also investigated for 4 years and was found that it wasn't a big enough problem for a recall.

Should they be replacing them for free, probably. But, I do think that offering a discounted price on new lines is a step in the right direction though.....
Old 09-15-2015, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

I have a 1995 Acura with a black plastic coating on the stock brake lines. The lines started popping from rust about 5 years ago.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tim94gt
Called the local dealer, they have them in stock for $111.00. Going to pick them up later today.

I'm confident that these new lines will most likely outlast the truck, even though they are "cheap"

I wouldn't necessarily say buying them from GM is supporting the company, I'm sure they're not making much money off the sales. They DO know they're junk, but it was also investigated for 4 years and was found that it wasn't a big enough problem for a recall.

Should they be replacing them for free, probably. But, I do think that offering a discounted price on new lines is a step in the right direction though.....
They got out of a recall by saying brake lines are a maintenance item and you should inspect and wash them regularly..seriously
I understand money doesnt grow on trees and everybody has their own budget. My issues are with GM, no one else just to be clear..
Old 09-16-2015, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 201 Likes on 158 Posts

... My issues are with GM, no one else just to be clear..
If you are referring to my post, my point was not to bring another manufacturer into this thread, my point is that these plastic coated brake lines are not a cure to rust.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Nope wasnt toward you, actually glad you posted up your findings as id tend to agree but i havent messed with coated lines yet.. Nothing is a total cure for rust when your in the rust belt..
Old 09-16-2015, 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

Nope wasnt toward you, actually glad you posted up your findings as id tend to agree but i havent messed with coated lines yet.. Nothing is a total cure for rust when your in the rust belt..
This is very true. My Truck, in particular is a plow truck and gets covered in sand/salt all winter. While I do my best to wash it after every storm, it's just not enough. If I get 11 years out of the replacement lines, I'll be happy. ****, even if I get 5 I'll be happy. I'll probably have a new truck by then anyways and this truck will get turned into a "yard truck" that I keep for sentimental reasons, haha...
Old 09-17-2015, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

God Damn these brake lines suck to do! I'm just doing the ones coming off the master cylinder for now, so I can get back on the road. Getting the fittings started on the abs pump is kicking my ***. Had to walk away for a bit....

Which brings me to my next complaint. Why the **** would GM put the abs pump halfway down the truck instead of in the engine bay like most other cars? It's not like there is a shortage of space under these hoods.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:20 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim94gt
God Damn these brake lines suck to do! I'm just doing the ones coming off the master cylinder for now, so I can get back on the road. Getting the fittings started on the abs pump is kicking my ***. Had to walk away for a bit....

Which brings me to my next complaint. Why the **** would GM put the abs pump halfway down the truck instead of in the engine bay like most other cars? It's not like there is a shortage of space under these hoods.
im glad they did, as that is where my line lock is going instead of the abs unit

Quick Reply: Anyone running the Ebay stainless pre-bent brake lines