Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

anyone still running acetone in their gas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, I have one of those. It kind of bulky, but it is surprisingly accurate. Just recently had a chance to test it with a couple of full tanks of gas I used on my vacation and it came up with about the same fuel used and MPG as I got dividing the gallons used into the miles driven. I like it and I can watch my intake temps and timing with the turbo.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Yes, I have one of those. It kind of bulky, but it is surprisingly accurate. Just recently had a chance to test it with a couple of full tanks of gas I used on my vacation and it came up with about the same fuel used and MPG as I got dividing the gallons used into the miles driven. I like it and I can watch my intake temps and timing with the turbo.

Cool I may have to invest in one of those.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Sexy Party Mod

After reading the article posted, im sold but are you sure there is no negative side effects. I could not get the scangauge to link up. How much do they run?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
After reading the article posted, im sold but are you sure there is no negative side effects. I could not get the scangauge to link up. How much do they run?
There $125. Click the link at the very bottom of the page. 4 months of solid use and no negative side affects yet, and I haven't heard of any one else have anything happen to them. It's a very small percentage when mix with the gas.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:35 AM
BRU
Teching In

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
A confusing note listed in the article:

Another is that cold intake air improves mileage. NO. Warm air improves mileage.
I'm sorry, but my vehicles always seem to perform better and get better gas mileage in the winter. Colder, denser air. Perhaps someone can help me out here.

I'm interested in trying this. May have to pick up a bottle this afternoon.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BRU
A confusing note listed in the article:

I'm sorry, but my vehicles always seem to perform better and get better gas mileage in the winter. Colder, denser air. Perhaps someone can help me out here.

I'm interested in trying this. May have to pick up a bottle this afternoon.
There is too many variables for someone to make a bold statement like that. Why they say warmer is due to the fuel vaporizing better. I'm sure there is a perfect temp and humidity that would complement the best effects of the added compression with the colder air and the more efficient vaporization of the warmer air.
Fuel injected vehicles are much more responsive to the colder air than carburated due to the temp and point of vaporization in the intake system. Carburators run a little better with a little warmer air than fuel inj. due to the improved vaporization within the carburator. In fuel inj motors the fuel doesnt vaporize as much until it enters the combustion chamber.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by kbracing96
There $125. Click the link at the very bottom of the page. 4 months of solid use and no negative side affects yet, and I haven't heard of any one else have anything happen to them. It's a very small percentage when mix with the gas.
Thanks I might have to invest in one of those. Is installation easy? I have not seen any negative affects of this, just positive ones. It seems too good to be true but its not. This is weird!!! Something that is not too good to be true. Im definately sold.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:48 AM
BRU
Teching In

Similar Discussion going on over on the SS board, though they seem to favor toluene or xylene as opposed to acetone. They're all aromatics, so they should do roughly the same thing.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...howtopic=14799

Corvette folks discuss toluene as well:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...3&page=1&pp=20