Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

autozone torqflo fan clutch any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default autozone torqflo fan clutch any good?

I have a 2003 Silverado with a 4.8 and I recently had the water pump replaced, and two days ago I barely overheated at a drive through (coolant went to about 215 degrees) the truck cooled back down once I started driving it but the fan roared the whole way home. I got a torqflo fan clutch severe duty from auto zone but I've read bad reviews on them, I cant get an OEM anytime soon but I've heard the Napa brands are good and not noisy, should I stick with the torqflo or get a Napa one?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Also should I have changed the thermostat when the water pump was replaced?
Old 07-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Yes, you should have changed the Thermostat when replacing the pump. If you did not bleed the coolant system that also should have been done. 215 is not that bad.

As far as the Fan Clutch, I couldn't tell you without seeing it in person. If you are having issues with it not functioning properly then replace it with a different brand. The Napa stuff is usually pretty good quality and sometimes is made by the same manufacture as the OEM part you are replacing.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

The guy who does most of the work on my truck said the clutch was bad, whenever I cut the engine off the clutch cut the fan off immediately when he said it should have kept spinning, and thats not good about the thermostat because I didn't replace it, hopefully itll last
Old 07-15-2013, 12:31 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Jaxon2580
The guy who does most of the work on my truck said the clutch was bad, whenever I cut the engine off the clutch cut the fan off immediately when he said it should have kept spinning, and thats not good about the thermostat because I didn't replace it, hopefully itll last
The T-stat is like a $10 Part, Why wouldn't you replace it???

Why did you replace the pump in the first place??? How do you know the T-stat is functioning correctly???
Old 07-15-2013, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
The T-stat is like a $10 Part, Why wouldn't you replace it???

Why did you replace the pump in the first place??? How do you know the T-stat is functioning correctly???
Well shoot I kinda go off the 'if its not broke don't fix it' and the guy who fixes it won't charge me for labor on that, I thought the thermostat needed the water pump to be removed to be replaced but I just saw its on the outside in a tube connected to it, no big deal. And I knew it was the water pump because the truck wasn't overheating, it was leaking LOTS of coolant so i took ot to a mechanic who diagnosed the water pump. Then after that about a week later( yestarday) it did the fan clutch issue and went to 215
Old 07-15-2013, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

It wasn't overheating or not warming up all the way so that's why it wasnt the thermostat
Old 07-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Any time a Water Pump or Radiator needs to be replaced the T-stat should also be replaced at the same time. The coolant system cap should also be inspected.

Just an FWIW If the radiator or water pump springs a leak it could have done so because the T-stat is not functioning properly. If It's not opening and closing properly the heat could generate excessive pressure. Yes, the system is designed to purge that but it creates extra stress until it's released.

Another place to look when a system is overheating is the cooling system cap. If it's not sealed properly or if it's not venting the excessive pressure properly it could creat the same issue.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Any time a Water Pump or Radiator needs to be replaced the T-stat should also be replaced at the same time. The coolant system cap should also be inspected.

Just an FWIW If the radiator or water pump springs a leak it could have done so because the T-stat is not functioning properly. If It's not opening and closing properly the heat could generate excessive pressure. Yes, the system is designed to purge that but it creates extra stress until it's released.

Another place to look when a system is overheating is the cooling system cap. If it's not sealed properly or if it's not venting the excessive pressure properly it could creat the same issue.
So what do I look for when I inspect the coolant cap? And I'll get the thermostat replaced so that's not the issue, but what's the difference with the OE temp (187?) And the 160 temp thermostats?
Old 07-15-2013, 01:38 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Jaxon2580
So what do I look for when I inspect the coolant cap? And I'll get the thermostat replaced so that's not the issue, but what's the difference with the OE temp (187?) And the 160 temp thermostats?
It opens wide open sooner to try and keep the temp cooler.

If you change to a lower one I believe you need to have the tune adjusted or you will get a code for it not functioning properly.

As far as the cap, make sure its sealing and its not damaged. Make sure the gasket (or in this case I believe they use an O-ring to make a seal) is in good shape and not damaged.

Quick Reply: autozone torqflo fan clutch any good?