Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Bang for a buck when modding ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bang for a buck when modding ...

There is a number of mods, which I'm considering, and I wanted to ask your opinion on what would give me (or has given you) most bang for the money. Your opinion might be influenced by how much money you spent vs. satisfaction derived.

Let me give you an example and bit of my personal experience; I have installed a ProCharger in my current vehicle. The cost of it was almost 8K (the kit was new, pro shop charged $100/h to install but I got ECM tune and a dyno to for it) installed. The outcome: total disappointment. Obviously this is a great supercharger when I get up to around 60/h at 3.5K rpm then it pulls like a **** but at the light it as slow and sluggish as 18 wheelers. This was basically a wrong supercharger for my heavy truck.If I had a choice again would I do it? No ******* way! However, I would do it for $3000. It would be worth to me to spend 3K on this mod and get this level of satisfaction.

When you spend money on mods you may soon experience diminished returns and I would like for you to share your own experiences and how you look at it from time perspective.

Here are some of the areas of interest (engine will most likely be stock 5.3 less likely to be 6.0 [if it matters]):
- is worth to upgrade to ported heads; for how much?
- is it worth to upgrade newer GM trucks with 6 speed transmission to something that's more performance oriented but 4 speed,
- is it worth doing long tubes and exhausts; for how much?

I hope you get the idea. TIA for your input.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

I would think you should think about a cam and retune. How much boost are you running?

Headers and full exhaust will help out. I can't tell you how much.
The 6 speeds are pretty nice from what I hear.

What vehicle? Engine size?
Old 10-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JFOLM
I would think you should think about a cam and retune. How much boost are you running?
I didn't even put that up because that's just so obvious I don't remember exactly how much but most likely not more that 5-7psi. Other than the supercharger there are no other mods on that car (Tahoe). I'm pretty sure that the shop tuned it to be safe.

The 6 speeds are pretty nice from what I hear.
I head that too but I'm wondering how they hold up with added power and/or torque.

What vehicle? Engine size?
This is going to be sierra/silverado 07 and up. Engine is going to be 5.3L
Old 10-08-2010, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

With a good Blower cam, retune, longtubes and full exhaust I bet you would pick up a good 30-40+ to the wheels easy. A blower will really wake up with an open exhaust...
Old 10-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell your Procharger for $3800+ and buy a Magnacharger 112 used,Long tube headers,2600 stall, and you will definately be satisfied...The sotp feeling a Radix gives is like no other ...instant torque anytime and all the time..Procharger better suited for big hp & big stall...on the street, light to light you cant beat a Magnacharger pound for pound (pun intended )
Old 10-08-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wouldnt a 3200 or so stall make that procharger shine?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
Sell your Procharger for $3800+ and buy a Magnacharger 112 used,Long tube headers,2600 stall, and you will definately be satisfied...The sotp feeling a Radix gives is like no other ...instant torque anytime and all the time..Procharger better suited for big hp & big stall...on the street, light to light you cant beat a Magnacharger pound for pound (pun intended )
Sounds very similar to what my combo will be.
Except I bought my Radix new.

I'd think most shops tune on safe side, they want u to be happy & not blow your **** up. I've heard stock Maggie tune is conservative, no doubt for same reason. A6's are still in infant stage (at least for built ones & perf. parts), but the gearing is advantageous over the drops of an A4. Sounds like u have both a Tahoe & 07+ Silvy / Sierra.
On my 5.3 NA (as of now) I gained power along lines of what Derek said from just my cam. W/. a good blower cam, retune, LT's & full exhaust I'd hope u would pick up more than me on cam only. Blower's need a free flowing exhaust to maximize. What gear in your Hoe? Gear, stall & cam matched to ea. other will help that or anything.

Anyway, are u goin be doin labor yourself?

Some mods I do for piece of mind, others for giddy up. My favorite mods from an increased power standpoint has to be cam & LTs. A tune netted gains & made cam more driveable, but I've also had it tuned along the way.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

3400-3600 would make it shine.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by D_reks{5.3}
With a good Blower cam, retune, longtubes and full exhaust I bet you would pick up a good 30-40+ to the wheels easy. A blower will really wake up with an open exhaust...
Do you think that all these mods would add only 30-40 to the wheels? ProCharger boosted my stock engine from 312hp to 430hp. Of course, not in the range where I normally drive.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
My thoughts exactly! ProCharger is going to be as good as gone. Like I said in my previous post; it works great but definitely not where I want it to. Feels like having Ferrari and being constantly stuck in traffic. I have heard a lot of good stuff about Maggie. This is definitely going to go down that road.

Should I get the stall after the cam and blower? Articles on the net suggest that proper stall is dependent on both of these things.

Quick Reply: Bang for a buck when modding ...