Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Bang for a buck when modding ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking you already had a NA cam for some reason, Since its a stock cam you should be looking at gains closer to 60-80 rwhp. Should be around 500-520 rwhp with the right cam and tune.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:40 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sotorin
My thoughts exactly! ProCharger is going to be as good as gone. Like I said in my previous post; it works great but definitely not where I want it to. Feels like having Ferrari and being constantly stuck in traffic. I have heard a lot of good stuff about Maggie. This is definitely going to go down that road.

Should I get the stall after the cam and blower? Articles on the net suggest that proper stall is dependent on both of these things.
You could get the converter before or after, once you have your setup spec'd out, as in you have decided on what cam you plan to run with the blower. Since the maggies are so efficient and make so much torque everywhere, they don't require a converter that's stalled to the moon. I've noticed a trend of a typical maggie with complimentary popular cam combined with about a 2600 converter. If it were me, and I were doing it piece by piece, I'd probably go Tom fastnblu's route, and do the converter first, then cam, then blower to see gains from each...or just do it all at once and be grinnin' from ear to ear in one shot
Old 10-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fastnblu
I'd think most shops tune on safe side, they want u to be happy & not blow your **** up. I've heard stock Maggie tune is conservative, no doubt for same reason. A6's are still in infant stage (at least for built ones & perf. parts), but the gearing is advantageous over the drops of an A4.
No doubt about it. But I could hardly contain my disappointment when I left the shop, took a right turn, punched it and ... nothing. WTF! I did ask around and did some research before that purchase. Opinions of course were divided and people were probably assuming that I had some additional plans for it. I stopped then but this time I'm determined to do it right. BTW what are A6,A4?

Sounds like u have both a Tahoe & 07+ Silvy / Sierra. On my 5.3 NA (as of now) I gained power along lines of what Derek said from just my cam. W/. a good blower cam, retune, LT's & full exhaust I'd hope u would pick up more than me on cam only. Blower's need a free flowing exhaust to maximize. What gear in your Hoe? Gear, stall & cam matched to ea. other will help that or anything.
I only have the Tahoe but I'm going to buy Silverado or Sierra and mod that one. After I do what I want to it I'll then bring Tahoe to stock and sell it. It may sound weird but 07+ Tahoe, which is what I have, is smaller inside than previous body style and for a big man like myself this is important. This is the only reason why I want to sell my Tahoe. 07+ Silverado/Sierra have way more room inside (models w/out the center console, sunroof). I like to be as comfortable in my car as I am on my couch

Anyway, are u goin be doin labor yourself?
Unfortunately not. I don't have a garage, tools or skills. A friend of mine has a shop and think I'll take it there. He doesn't have a performance shop and is just a regular mechanic but does a very good job with just about anything car related. Friend or not, I'll have to pay for that and the only thing I can be sure of that he's going to do it right. One way I can cut cost is to gather all the parts and do the whole thing on one go. I've seen enough YouTube videos on how to change a cam on that there is only a limited amount of **** that a mechanic will be able go give me. Once all the hoses, covers, radiators, intake etc are taken off then they will be able to install everything w/out having to redo it with every visit 3 weeks apart. After the install is completed I'll go to a pro shop to have it dynoed and tuned.

Some mods I do for piece of mind, others for giddy up. My favorite mods from an increased power standpoint has to be cam & LTs. A tune netted gains & made cam more driveable, but I've also had it tuned along the way.
I'm not going to be racing, I'm not after any particular numbers. Just want to have a fun daily driver. I want give it to the kid that lines up on my right at a red light and tries to beat me before traffic merges 100ft. down the road
Old 10-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by D_reks{5.3}
I was thinking you already had a NA cam for some reason, Since its a stock cam you should be looking at gains closer to 60-80 rwhp. Should be around 500-520 rwhp with the right cam and tune.
I'm not going to do anything to my otherwise stock Tahoe anymore. I don't yet have the vehicle I'm going to mod but I know what I want and I'm just preparing for this - my maiden - build. Purchase has been decided on and I'm just going thru all the places where I can find the right car for the right price to purchase. I would also consider buying fully modded monster but it's hard to find exactly what I want. It's either 2WD (I want 4x4), single or crew cab while I want extended cab, has a center console or a sunroof which I don't want, etc. Once this is done I'll, hopefully, enjoy this until it falls apart
Old 10-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by budhayes3
You could get the converter before or after, once you have your setup spec'd out, as in you have decided on what cam you plan to run with the blower. Since the maggies are so efficient and make so much torque everywhere, they don't require a converter that's stalled to the moon. I've noticed a trend of a typical maggie with complimentary popular cam combined with about a 2600 converter. If it were me, and I were doing it piece by piece, I'd probably go Tom fastnblu's route, and do the converter first, then cam, then blower to see gains from each...or just do it all at once and be grinnin' from ear to ear in one shot
That's exactly what I gathered after doing some research. Some say that the stall should be at 80% of the RPM at which max torque is produced. Once you put a blower in it should produce more torque sooner than a stock engine would thus I don't think that super high stall will be needed. 2600 sounds right to me. What about the gears? Is this something I should seriously consider? I don't want to cruise on the highway with the converter slipping. That's not going to be fun.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Thanks for kind words, Billy. I think.

I did ask around and did some research before that purchase. Opinions of course were divided and people were probably assuming that I had some additional plans for it. I stopped then but this time I'm determined to do it right. BTW what are A6,A4?

I only have the Tahoe but I'm going to buy Silverado or Sierra and mod that one. After I do what I want to it I'll then bring Tahoe to stock and sell it.

Unfortunately not. I don't have a garage, tools or skills. A friend of mine has a shop and think I'll take it there. He doesn't have a performance shop and is just a regular mechanic but does a very good job with just about anything car related. Friend or not, I'll have to pay for that and the only thing I can be sure of that he's going to do it right. One way I can cut cost is to gather all the parts and do the whole thing on one go. I've seen enough YouTube videos on how to change a cam on that there is only a limited amount of **** that a mechanic will be able go give me. Once all the hoses, covers, radiators, intake etc are taken off then they will be able to install everything w/out having to redo it with every visit 3 weeks apart. After the install is completed I'll go to a pro shop to have it dynoed and tuned.

I'm not going to be racing, I'm not after any particular numbers. Just want to have a fun daily driver. ...
Sounds like u have a good plan; you've done your research. I'm a firm believer in doing things right. I also like to do things once. I overbuild to prevent doin things again, & so I don't get stranded. Not sure where u live, but most times when I've had to work on things, it's in winter or hot out. Not 70 & perfect.

Oh ya, A4 = 4 spd automatic A6 = 6 spd. automatic.

Your logic for your situation on doin it all in one is sound too.

Should I get the stall after the cam and blower? Articles on the net suggest that proper stall is dependent on both of these things...

... Some say that the stall should be at 80% of the RPM at which max torque is produced. Once you put a blower in it should produce more torque sooner than a stock engine would thus I don't think that super high stall will be needed. 2600 sounds right to me. What about the gears? I don't want to cruise on the highway with the converter slipping. ...
Go looksee, Derek said earlier all those mods would add 30-40+.
Nice gains as u said ProCharger boosted your stock engine from 312hp to 430hp.
Maggie puts power down all over & is roots style; yours is centrifugal, so the range is on top.
Stall could be done later as Billy said above. Or now, if u like, but I'd do it based on DD use (since that's what u want & not some screaming stall) & if doin a cam, pick both so they complement ea. other. Or if u stall it now, now what cam you're goin w/. IMO, I'd wait, cause if u change cam (ideas) like Billy, it may dictate a different stall. Tranny upgrades are a great idea so it doesn't go bang!
Gears, if u want them, can do done anytime as well. Just like the stall.
I'm hoping to have enuff power that I don't need gears (or not too crazy). I can appreciate your eye toward a DD not a drag queen, I'm takin same approach.

Last edited by fastnblu; 10-09-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

My favorite mods for the money are stall, gears, spray, and tune. For a couple grand it will put a smile on any face.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My thoughts exactly! ProCharger is going to be as good as gone. Like I said in my previous post; it works great but definitely not where I want it to. Feels like having Ferrari and being constantly stuck in traffic. I have heard a lot of good stuff about Maggie. This is definitely going to go down that road.

Should I get the stall after the cam and blower? Articles on the net suggest that proper stall is dependent on both of these things.

Yeah..I raced a 6.0 Denali truck Procharged truck @8-9 psi and a Red SSS with a STS @8-9psi...With my Radix'd SSS @7.5 psi I put about 3-5 lengths easily on both and .2-.4 less 60' at the local 1/8 mi track..all else pretty much the same..

-As far as a stall, The road has already been paved for you since these blowers/trucks have been out for awhile ...For the street you could go the proven 2600 stall and GT2-3 LPE cam or 212/218 as budhayes stated...You will definately be grinnin ear to ear!!

-One more thing..to be happy with a Maggie You DO NOT need a cam or stall they run great with a small pulley and lt's + bolt ons! They just make it all that more fun..Good Luck!

On my current setup I chose NOT to run a Magnacharger because they make it too easy to win street races... And I already went down that very fun road..Just trying a different flavor!
Old 10-09-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
Yeah..I raced a 6.0 Denali truck Procharged truck @8-9 psi and a Red SSS with a STS @8-9psi...With my Radix'd SSS @7.5 psi I put about 3-5 lengths easily on both and .2-.4 less 60' at the local 1/8 mi track..all else pretty much the same..

-As far as a stall, The road has already been paved for you since these blowers/trucks have been out for awhile ...For the street you could go the proven 2600 stall and GT2-3 LPE cam or 212/218 as budhayes stated...You will definately be grinnin ear to ear!!

-One more thing..to be happy with a Maggie You DO NOT need a cam or stall they run great with a small pulley and lt's + bolt ons! They just make it all that more fun...

On my current setup I chose NOT to run a Magnacharger because they make it too easy to win street races... And I already went down that very fun road..Just trying a different flavor!
I shoulda mentioned that a cam or stall are not necessities on a Maggie, but I had to go to work & got rushed off computer.

Also, besides the 2 proven cams u said, an LS6 or VHP seems to have garnered some votes too. I know AKlow (Roger) uses a VHP (Vinci) grind. He loves it.

Not running a Maggie, cause it's too easy to win?!? And that's a bad thing?