Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

BCM wont accept theft deterent

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default BCM wont accept theft deterent

I had the dealer try to flash a used BCM into my truck today and it wouldn't accept it due to something with the theft deterent. Anybody know about this?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they have to disable the feature in the PCM first and then flash it. This keeps people from swapping out one or the other and stealing the vehicle.
But can't say for sure. There's a thread on it some where but having a hard time finding it.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:48 AM
Where's the Beef?

Torque Wrench should know for sure.

Edit: If they just turn off the VATS in the pcm it should work from what I can find.

Last edited by viciousknid; 12-13-2008 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by viciousknid

Edit: If they just turn off the VATS in the pcm it should work from what I can find.
I have HPTuners which I can do that with, but will I have to go back to the dealer and get them to reflash the BCM or will it work with HPTuners?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Where's the Beef?

You may check HPT website and do a search for VATS. I tried it in EFILive and couldn't get it to work. It may require a tech II
Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You may check HPT website and do a search for VATS. I tried it in EFILive and couldn't get it to work. It may require a tech II
With HPT i can relink the vats is that wha i'll need to fix it?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Where's the Beef?

You can try. I haven't found any threads that confirm a BCM relearn. I say try it, if it works yay, if not you'll have to take it in and have them do it with a Tech II. Hopefully disabling the VATS will solve the security problem they are having.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I got it to work .... kinda. I relinked the VATS on my BCM and then it wouldn't fire up from the acc position. So I shut off the ignition and tried to start it and it worked. Then I put in the used replacement BCM and did the same thing and it fired up. Now i have the security light (I seen it in another post so i'll have to check into that) as well as the airbag light is on all the time. Im not sure if thye swap changed anything, I guess i'll have to see if the battery keeps getting drained.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem I run into with people bringing in used BCM's and PCM's is that most times the BCM will look the same but the service numbers are diffrent. That causing a problem because when you try to re-flash one, the Tech II can't communicate with it because the calibration numbers aren't supported for that particular model.

The TRUCKS FROM 1999 AND UP use the Pass-Lock system which is a bit diffrent from the VATS-key set-up.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
The problem I run into with people bringing in used BCM's and PCM's is that most times the BCM will look the same but the service numbers are diffrent. That causing a problem because when you try to re-flash one, the Tech II can't communicate with it because the calibration numbers aren't supported for that particular model.

The TRUCKS FROM 1999 AND UP use the Pass-Lock system which is a bit diffrent from the VATS-key set-up.
Is there any way around it? The dealer wants just under $500 for a new one here. I take it a new one is "blank" as so its easy to program and for the vehicle to accept.? I've done a bit of reading and some people have had luck witha BCM and security relearn so I got nothing lo lose so i'll give that a shot.

Quick Reply: BCM wont accept theft deterent