Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Bed Liner

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:15 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bed Liner

Well it may hurt my time a little but I have an appointment Monday morning with Line-X for a spray in liner. Going to keep it under the rails. Expected weight 50lbs.
Anyone else have a spray in?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:13 AM
.T.
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a REFLEX spray in liner with a GM rubber matt layed down too. I made it painfully clear that it had to be done right 'cuz I'm **** about my truck before letting them touch it. He taped off everyting with this wire tape which cuts a clean line when removed and completely covered the truck in plastic. Next he removed my tailgate and handle and put straws through the 3 bolt holes in order to keep them clean. Then, he sanded off the paint throughout the whole bed and tailgate and cleaned it with some type of acetone. The spray passed through a heating element to promote adhesion and it's optional to have it color matched to the truck.

It came out awesome! It's up under the rails and is about as thick as two stacked quaters. The finished texture is rubbery and somewhat bumpy. Last week I threw a kid's swingset back there with some bolts sticking out and drove 150 miles and the liner barely scuffed.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Default liner

Buyer beware linex sucks, screwed me and mt roomate on warranty
Old 07-13-2006, 11:41 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

more details please!
Old 07-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

One of my brothers(I had 6) used to spray in liners and he swears by Rhino. I've seen the difference in trucks, even those he did with different brands and Rhino was the best, barr none. The basic procedure is just as "T" explained it. Anything you don't want covered must be taped/covered over or removed, and the gate is always done seperately.

Pay attention to the time it takes to install it. A good one usually requires at least 8 hours and they'll tell you not to put anything in the bed for 24hours in most cases. Some places prefer the truck left with them as long as possible to be sure it cures properly. Rhino's are to be done in a temperature/humidity controlled environment. Most others don't seem to get that approach, but they probably all should. A special suit is worn when doing it right, because it's very important NO sweat or other liquids land on the bed while being done. That was what he hated about Rhino's, because you'll sweat like mad in the suit... Not to mention, you look like you're a member of a nuclear replenishment team.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Line-X and I dont have any trouble with it at all. I have had it a year and a half and Im completely happy with it.

I have seen several Rhino Liners peel and then the places not warrenty because it was "abuse" that caused the peel or chip to happen

Every one I know with the LineX that didnt spill some sort of chemical on it was covered under warrenty.

The liner dosent like aircraft stripper to much.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:12 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have seen a ton of Rhino's that are faded.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:31 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

I'm not loading my bed with concrete or lumber on a regular basis either and god forbid they dont honor their warranty with me LOL
Old 07-14-2006, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BradS
I have a Line-X and I dont have any trouble with it at all. I have had it a year and a half and Im completely happy with it.
I wouldn't say there is anything specifically wrong with other brands in general, so I'm not shocked you like the one you have.

I have seen several Rhino Liners peel and then the places not warrenty because it was "abuse" that caused the peel or chip to happen
This is something I've never seen, but I've heard of a few problems. I've seen firebrick dropped, ior even thrown into pickups with properly applied Rhinolining and nothing, not even a notable divit. They are warranteed against cracking and peeling for as long as you own your truck, so if damage occurs, the owner should break out the paperwork and get it fixed. Not all dealers are creeated equally though, so that ball is in the owners court as to where it's applied. The key to avoiding cracks, chips or peel seems to be in the application. Rhinolinings are to be applied at 1/4" thick on floors(1/8th on walls) and a mistake there can cause problems in the future. The only time I've seen any spray on liner peel is when it was applied to thin or the bed wasn't prepped properly, or got moisture on it during application.

Every one I know with the LineX that didnt spill some sort of chemical on it was covered under warrenty.
Rhinolinings are even warranted against chemical damage.

Originally Posted by j's01silverado
I have seen a ton of Rhino's that are faded.
That's probably why they offer "Rhino shine" to keep it looking normal. Some dealers offer this as part of the warranty, and will apply it in intervals at a low cost, or free of charge. I only know of one dealer who offered that near me, and it surprised me.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:30 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've gotta ask my buddy which one he has...I believe it's a roll on. He's had it for a few years now and it still looks great. I remember him mentioning that he had some left over in a can, so if by chance he did take a big chunk out of it somehow, he can just touch it up....although I don't think that he's needed to touch it up. He uses his bed too...(unlike me...I get bent if I have to load anything more than pillows back there! )

Quick Reply: Bed Liner