Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Belt Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 02:26 PM
formerly 2004RST (changed 11/19/2012)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah it was makin the noise before i changed it so i figured the belt was just old & kidna worn out but it still makes the noise...not really a huge deal...just annoying
Old 11-23-2009, 02:33 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by JAVI05
why not?
Because a squeaking belt means it's slipping. If it's slipping, the belt either needs to be replaced, or the tensioner is too weak, and needs to be replaced. Spraying stuff on it will degrade the rubber, and hasten the demise of the belt.

It's a band aid, not a fix.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DV2000NJ
Because a squeaking belt means it's slipping. If it's slipping, the belt either needs to be replaced, or the tensioner is too weak, and needs to be replaced. Spraying stuff on it will degrade the rubber, and hasten the demise of the belt.

It's a band aid, not a fix.
well i would never tell someone to try something that i have never tried... and for years... this goes back to when engines had mutiple belts.. lol. better than throwing money at it and still have the same problem.. IMO. if you spray the belt and the noise goes away its the belt.. if it doesnt go away then we all know we have other problems. very easy..
Old 11-23-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2004RST
yeah it was makin the noise before i changed it so i figured the belt was just old & kidna worn out but it still makes the noise...not really a huge deal...just annoying
You have 2 belts, one for the a/c and one for the w/p, alt, etc...
I replace a crapload of a/c belts for this reason.

+1 on not spraying stuff on the belt, I have 110,000 on a 99 and still have both original belts. I also rarely replace them on the hundreds of higher mileage trucks,tahoes,yukons etc that come through the shop. A/C belt is another story, do several a week of those. A/C belt tensioners are common as well.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:51 PM

Thanks guys I wasn't planning on spraying anything on the belts My father in law told me to use belt conditioner and I told him no I know what chemicals do to rubber...I think I'll replace the belt tensioner first and go from there simply because it's the easiest/cheapest I think it's like 38 bucks I can deal with that rather than buyin a new water pump or alt just because of a noise and how hard is it to get to the ac belt while on jackstands I see it there but looks like a PITA thanks again guys
Old 11-23-2009, 05:06 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Do the A/C belt before you do anything else. If it hasn't been replaced, I'd put money that's where your squeak is coming from (and most people never replace it).

And it isn't hard to get to from the bottom if you pull off the front skid plate. You can get to the belt without removing it, but it's easier with it off.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:13 PM

figured as much...not hard to remove the skid plate...looks like i've got somethin to do next weekend...thanks guys
Old 11-23-2009, 08:01 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The AC belt isn't new also? That could be it too...

I would never spray anything on the belts, besides what's already been mentioned, it makes a mess. I have used valve lapping compound on squeaky belts, as the grit in the compound helps the belt to grip the pullies and stop the slip=squeak. As mentioned, the tensioner squeak is usually caused by old dry bearings.

(I did spray belts when I was younger before I knew better, and I have used a little squirt of some form of lube as a diagnostic tool to help pinpoint which belt is making the noise)
Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just had the same issue...I sprayed a water mist and it confirmed it was belt. Guessing I need to move my Maggie 8 rib tensioner to the higher slot to tighten the whole works up...R/
Old 11-24-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3
The AC belt isn't new also? That could be it too...

I would never spray anything on the belts, besides what's already been mentioned, it makes a mess. I have used valve lapping compound on squeaky belts, as the grit in the compound helps the belt to grip the pullies and stop the slip=squeak. As mentioned, the tensioner squeak is usually caused by old dry bearings.

(I did spray belts when I was younger before I knew better, and I have used a little squirt of some form of lube as a diagnostic tool to help pinpoint which belt is making the noise)
i guess i still dont know any better.. lol... i find mine that way still..lol.

Quick Reply: Belt Squeak