Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Boosting a tired 4.8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosting a tired 4.8?

Hey guys im thinking about boosting my tired 4.8 it has 222,000 miles on it..do you think the 4.8 can handle it or would it lead to a quick death? im wanting just a little more power nothing insane.my truck is bone stock and is a DD i thought about getting it tuned and adding a few bolt on's thinking that might help any suggestions? i have looked ino the 6.0 swap and i dont have the tools or resources to get it done (no garage or engine hoist,torqe wrench etc) sucks being the only guy in the louisville area into this let me know what you guys think.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

U don't need a garage to swap a motor. U can rent a torque wrench at auto zone if there's one in ur area and as for a engine hoist there's Places that rents them. Do a 6.0 swap and later throw a sc or a tc if budget allows. but figure a budget and hp goals.

Last edited by sik-rod-dog; 12-18-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don’t take this wrong, as I’m not trying to be hateful, but if you don’t have the resources to perform an engine swap now you’re not likely to be in much better shape when your tired 4.8L gives up the ghost. That being said, there are a lot of folks that add boost to higher mileage engines, but usually we’re talking about something in the 75-100k range and not 200k plus. Even if you’ve taken the best of care in maintaining it, it is tired plain and simple and I wouldn’t consider it a good candidate for boost without re-freshening it first.

I have to agree with the previous post that there are places to rent most of the major tools you would need to perform an engine swap. Hell unless you get a good deal on whatever form of boost you’re looking to add, you could possibly pick up a decent mileage used engine and pay to have it installed for close to the same amount.

Again, don’t take my post as criticizing your idea, I would just hate to read later about the demise of your tired engine and about you having to walk wherever your going for awhile.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well if you're worried about the motor, how do u think the trans is gonna handle up?
Old 12-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Default No worries

Originally Posted by 1Bear
Don’t take this wrong, as I’m not trying to be hateful, but if you don’t have the resources to perform an engine swap now you’re not likely to be in much better shape when your tired 4.8L gives up the ghost. That being said, there are a lot of folks that add boost to higher mileage engines, but usually we’re talking about something in the 75-100k range and not 200k plus. Even if you’ve taken the best of care in maintaining it, it is tired plain and simple and I wouldn’t consider it a good candidate for boost without re-freshening it first.

I have to agree with the previous post that there are places to rent most of the major tools you would need to perform an engine swap. Hell unless you get a good deal on whatever form of boost you’re looking to add, you could possibly pick up a decent mileage used engine and pay to have it installed for close to the same amount.

Again, don’t take my post as criticizing your idea, I would just hate to read later about the demise of your tired engine and about you having to walk wherever your going for awhile.
Your fine i dont think your being hateful..i have been tossing a ton of idea's back and forth and everytime i settle on one i talk myself out of it...tackling a job like this on my own is a bit nerve racking ive have some how to books etc but i dont have any buddies to turn to when im stuck scratching my head or when its time for some heavy lifting...I dont want to turn a 3000 to 5000 build into a 8000 build because i bought the wrong parts. 6.0 swap is what i really want but i have never built an engine on my own. I will look into renting the stand,hoist etc.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Teching In

Default Tranny

Originally Posted by Chevy_King1500
well if you're worried about the motor, how do u think the trans is gonna handle up?
i was looking into that to just failed to mention it.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Default $$

Originally Posted by sik-rod-dog
U don't need a garage to swap a motor. U can rent a torque wrench at auto zone if there's one in ur area and as for a engine hoist there's Places that rents them. Do a 6.0 swap and later throw a sc or a tc if budget allows. but figure a budget and hp goals.
i will look into renting those things...budget is $5000 or so and 400hp would be nice.

Last edited by i3ig E; 12-18-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: wanted to change
Old 12-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Not sure about your area but around here I can get 4.8/5.3s with decently low mileage for $300-$500 dollars complete at scrap yards and every once in a while craigslist. Even if the motor has 80,000 miles it would be a better candidate than your 220,000+ engine. Not sure how this would work into your budget but it might be something to keep in mind.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Teching In

I've been looking around for a replacement motor 4.8 n 53's are pretty easy to find for cheap the 6.0 not so much..I'm not in a big hurry I'll just keep searching I'd like a engine tranny combo.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

I would not be as concerned with blowing the 4.8 up totally. But the rings are lower tension in these motors and I fear boost would expose those high mileage girls pretty fast. A turbo 4.8 would definitely be more powerful than a mild 6.0 but consideing your situation I would go 6.0. Turbo setups can and will be a money pit.. especially since you will be looking into a transmission really soon. Good luck with your build either way bud.

Quick Reply: Boosting a tired 4.8?