Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion
View Poll Results: What should be my next DD?
AWD TBSS
60.00%
New 4x4 chevy
0%
03+ RCSB + turbo kit and add ons.
40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Bored. What DD should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bored. What DD should I buy?

So, I'm bored at home and have been toying with what I want to buy. Right now I have a 98 TA that is under the knife getting an LQ4 + heads/cam since I blew the LS1 into a bajillion pieces and a 97 jeep cherokee that's stock, just for driving when I screw up the TA or its raining/snowing. I know I should probably just keep the situation I have right now but I am wanting to change things up. I want a DD that is quick (doesn't have to be as fast as the TA will be) and AWD or 4x4. I might keep the jeep just to have a second vehicle because I know whatever I buy will be getting work done to it at times. At the moment I have three options going through my head.

1.) AWD TBSS. I figure with intake/cam/tune/E-fans/stall I can run high 12's or low 13's and still be very reliable. Around $18-22k

2.) Go out and buy a new RCSB 4x4 Chevy. Too bad they won't offer it with the 6.2, that is the route I would go for sure but I just don't like the look of extended cabs or 4 doors. This would be the most expensive route to take, and the slowest in all reality. But I would have a warranty and a truck I know nobody has abused. $30k

3.) 03-06 RCSB 4x4 chevy. Would have to be a 4.8 or 5.3 truck and I would buy a KB or Trick turbo kit. Only problem here is all the extra things needed to be done to the truck to hold up to the power. E-fans, tune, injectors, 80E swap, and I would want to go AWD with it also for street traction. This would be the cheapest route to go, but also the least likely to get my money back out of if/when I wanted to sell it. I would also need to do some visual mods to make it stand out a bit, lowered, ss front bumper, roll pan, painted grilles, door handles and such. Probably $12-16k

What do you guys think? And in all reality I will change my mind before I buy any of these, but like I said I'm bored.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Can you not special order it from GM with the 6.2?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id go TBSS..already 6.0, already awd, look good factory, plenty of room for friend or family..
Old 12-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Launching!

I don't believe so. I might go talk to the dealer, but as far as I understand it's only available on the ext cabs and 4 doors. I also only want a WT, only options I want are 4x4, PW, PL, cd player, carpet and the biggest v8 they will let me have! I will buy aftermarket wheels and paint the trim to match myself, it's a lot cheaper that way.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Launching!

TBSS is the way I am leaning honestly. I think it would be the smart decision, but I really really want a turbo daily driver. I think the TBSS are great, just when you want to make real power you get into a lot more trouble than a full size truck. The oil pan design is crappy to say the least, and it's a nightmare to swap in an 80E. If I buy the TBSS I will probably just do a CAI/stall/cam/e-fans and a tune and call it good. If I buy a truck it will get a turbo, just the new truck would have to wait a few years.