Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Brake options.... headache... alot of combos!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe with that any miles your looking to replace the MC as well? They arent terribly expensive or hard to replace. It will just make sure your whole system is back up to 100%. I'm sure some of your internal seals are leaking not allowing full pressure when applied......especially a '00 with 175k "used" miles......just a suggestion.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes if your not getting lock up at all I'd do a complete brake job, MC, maybe even the booster, rebuild calipers, SS Lines, etc.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigredexpress99
Maybe with that any miles your looking to replace the MC as well? They arent terribly expensive or hard to replace. It will just make sure your whole system is back up to 100%. I'm sure some of your internal seals are leaking not allowing full pressure when applied......especially a '00 with 175k "used" miles......just a suggestion.
I called my buddy at the stealership... he said around $100 for the MC i think? or the booster.. haha ive already forgot..

Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31
yes if your not getting lock up at all I'd do a complete brake job, MC, maybe even the booster, rebuild calipers, SS Lines, etc.
Im still lookin for SS lines... they arent too easy to find.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:25 PM
LS1Tech Whore

speaking of brakes,
my service master cylinder soon came on for a month back when I had 37,000 miles right after the warranty but the light went away. I never felt a difference tho. What could it have been.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

IMO I would start with the rotors, pads and lines. My brakes sucked so bad they didn't even want to hold the truck easily idling in gear and were pulsing coming to a stop. I didn't want to spend anymore money than I had to at the time, so I just had the rotors turned and reused the pads that I had don't know how old they are or what brand since they were on the truck when I bought it still plenty of pad though. Then I put on SS lines and flushed the system with new fluid. It has been almost a year now and I am still happy with the improvement it made. Not to say it couldn't still be a little better, but it was a drastic improvement. Just saying I would start by either turning the rotors or getting new ones and see how that does before jumping in and replacing everything.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:53 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so anyone ever use the ebc brakes? anyone know the part numbers and where to buy the ss lines?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Banned

i'm running slotted/drilled rotors, hawk pads on stock calipers all around with earl's stainless lines. not great, but better than stock. its a truck...its gonna show signs of that from time to time.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CashDudeHomie
I don't know because I have 8 year old pads with 200k miles and they still look like new

I change my front pads about once a year and my rears every other year

I'm at 90k and the truck is 7 years old. You're on your first pads and I'm on my (5th and 3rd?) and it's time for another set in the rear right now and maybe the front too.

I'd like to hear what works for making them last longer and stop better w/o going bigger bc I have 16" wheels
Old 02-06-2008, 04:42 AM
Launching!

I replaced my pads and rotors with SSBC's slotted rotor kit. It is part number SSB-A2351019 through Summit. should fit your application. I've had great success on my 04 Z71 ECSB, and great pad wearing characteristics. it slows this heavy truck quicker than stock.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blown02Sierra

I change my front pads about once a year and my rears every other year

I'm at 90k and the truck is 7 years old. You're on your first pads and I'm on my (5th and 3rd?) and it's time for another set in the rear right now and maybe the front too.

I'd like to hear what works for making them last longer and stop better w/o going bigger bc I have 16" wheels
There is only one way to stop a vehicle, friction. Therefore something wears. Either you wear the pad, or the rotor. If you have hard pads (lifetimes from meineke) they will last a lifetime, but will take out 3-4 sets of rotors before then and perform sub-par.

I have never used EBC parts on a vehicle, heard good things though...

Quick Reply: Brake options.... headache... alot of combos!!