Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads

I need to do a brake job on the truck. I have EBC green currently and I am fairly indifferent to them. I am looking at Hawk Ceramic or EBC green. Any thoughts?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stone150
I need to do a brake job on the truck. I have EBC green currently and I am fairly indifferent to them. I am looking at Hawk Ceramic or EBC green. Any thoughts?
I just installed EBC Green 7000's in front and 6000's in rear and am totally impressed with them. I previously had Praise Dyno cryogenically treated performance pads and was very happy with them, but the EBC Greens are even better.

Haven't heard much about the Hawk ceramics...since they are ceramic they should last a long time and have very little dust, but there's usually some sacrifice in stopping performance. I know that I've read of a lot of guys complaining about the Hawk HPS pads making noise and dusting like hell, but most have reported good stopping performance from them.

Here's my thread with my EBC Green Stuff review:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=480687
Old 04-20-2011, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I just installed EBC Green 7000's in front and 6000's in rear and am totally impressed with them. I previously had Praise Dyno cryogenically treated performance pads and was very happy with them, but the EBC Greens are even better.

Haven't heard much about the Hawk ceramics...since they are ceramic they should last a long time and have very little dust, but there's usually some sacrifice in stopping performance. I know that I've read of a lot of guys complaining about the Hawk HPS pads making noise and dusting like hell, but most have reported good stopping performance from them.

Here's my thread with my EBC Green Stuff review:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=480687
that was the exact combo I was thinking. I have 6K allround now, and for the longest time I thought they sucked, but it turned out there was air in the system. I've had them for 80K miles now and the system had air (or bad fluid) for 75K of that
Old 04-20-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got another question. My brakes are pulsing bad, I currently have power stop rotors (I think, they could be ssbc) but I remember when I got them that they seem to be just cheap rotors with slots cut in them. They started pulsing about 20-30K in and have just gotten worse. The brake flush helped some, but I want to get rid of the fronts for sure, should I replace the rears also, or just turn them? if I do everything it will run me $680 for everything, a little steep.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:02 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just put on some hawk ltz pads and they seem good.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hawk ceramics here, no complaints, been on for about 60k and still have a ton of meat left on then.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:58 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stone150
I've got another question. My brakes are pulsing bad, I currently have power stop rotors (I think, they could be ssbc) but I remember when I got them that they seem to be just cheap rotors with slots cut in them. They started pulsing about 20-30K in and have just gotten worse. The brake flush helped some, but I want to get rid of the fronts for sure, should I replace the rears also, or just turn them? if I do everything it will run me $680 for everything, a little steep.
Do you feel the pulsation in the steering wheel or the seat or both? Often times, the pulsation will transmit to these areas and you will know whether the pulsation is coming from the front or rear (steering wheel = front, seat = rear). But often time you only feel it in the pedal, and have to use a dial indication to determine which rotor(s) are out of round.

Personally, if you thought that the PowerSlots looked cheap, I'd do new rotors all around and start fresh. I had thought that the PowerSlots were of good quality, but then I saw tdrumm's rotors when we did front brakes on his old GP, and they were rusted all to hell IIRC. I believe that his brakes were pulsating also.

Honestly, you can get some cheap white box factory replacement rotors and the brakes will act and feel the same as if you dropped the dough on expensive slotted rotors. I've had good luck with the rotors that NAPA offers. Actually, slotted/drilled/dimpled rotors don't do much in a daily driven or 1/4 mile application, as the slots/holes/dimples don't do much but remove surface area from the rotor for the pads to grab on to.

I must say though, I'm extremely happy with my PraiseDyno cryogenically treated slotted rotors that are on my truck...they have resisted oxidation great, and are totally true with no pulsations. I went through two sets of factory rotors that rusted to **** very quickly here in the northeast.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just the thread I needed to come across... my rotors are so warped the whole truck shakes violently under light braking, something I've been needing to do, but haven't had the time to do the research.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I'll just start anew, I remember being in Austin (allot more hilly then Houston) a few times and coming to a stop after driving in the hills, the truck would shake Violently, almost like the road was a bunch of small speed bumps. Plus the EBC's rotors have a nice finish.

I am looking at the yellow pads also, but they say they are higher dust then the Greens, but how much higher? The greens don't produce much at all.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Hawk ceramics here, no complaints, been on for about 60k and still have a ton of meat left on then.
Stopping power good?

Quick Reply: Brake Pads