Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

breaking and entering yukons/suburbans/tahoes,etc...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default breaking and entering yukons/suburbans/tahoes,etc...

i have a black 02 denali, and unfortunately, someone broke into it through the passenger side door lock. i have spent a good amount of time taking everything apart and surveying the damage. i am quite surprised at how easy breaking into these vehicles has become. it appears that they just pushed the doorlock right into the door itself. the lock doesn't seem to be damaged, nor the clip that holds it on, but the 2 little plastic "ears" on the back side of the handle surround which hold the lock into the handle are broken. problem is, i don't really want to have to paint one of these black. Does anyone know where i can buy these pre-painted? not just black like the textured ones, but, body color smooth black like the rest of the truck. also, is anyone aware of any modifications or after-market companies making these out of metal instead of abs plastic?
It seems very hard to believe the GM is relying on these 2 plastic ears worth about 1 dollar, for the security of a 50 thousand dollar truck. these really should be stronger don't ya think?
all advice and comments welcome.
thanxs
Old 01-09-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02denali XL
i have a black 02 denali, and unfortunately, someone broke into it through the passenger side door lock. i have spent a good amount of time taking everything apart and surveying the damage. i am quite surprised at how easy breaking into these vehicles has become. it appears that they just pushed the doorlock right into the door itself. the lock doesn't seem to be damaged, nor the clip that holds it on, but the 2 little plastic "ears" on the back side of the handle surround which hold the lock into the handle are broken. problem is, i don't really want to have to paint one of these black. Does anyone know where i can buy these pre-painted? not just black like the textured ones, but, body color smooth black like the rest of the truck. also, is anyone aware of any modifications or after-market companies making these out of metal instead of abs plastic?
It seems very hard to believe the GM is relying on these 2 plastic ears worth about 1 dollar, for the security of a 50 thousand dollar truck. these really should be stronger don't ya think?
thanxs
any GM dealership sales them....
Old 01-09-2005, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Default broke my door handle denali

thanxs
Old 01-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Teching In

i understand that they sell them in a basic black, almost like a flat black, but i'm looking for hi-gloss black
do you know if they sell those?
also, what about a metal replacement?
Old 01-09-2005, 04:35 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the part numbers sticky at the top of this thread...the part numbers are in there.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Thats why 04 and up trucks have no passenger side door lock. on my buddys trucks we put the 04 handles on them
Old 01-09-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

So now no one can break into the pass side of the truck. That might deter some very stupid criminals.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Probably not how they got in, unless they got in before they broke it. Those things are designed to break away. Happen to me, and that's why they didn't get in. The lock cylinder fell into the door after they tried to jamb a screwdriver in it. I don't have my part number disc with me in Florida, so someone else will chime in with the part number.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

That's very similar to what happened to me about a month ago. Check out www.jimmyjammer.com I think that's the site, anyway its a steel plate, that goes behind the door handle to prevent this sort of thing.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

That sux to hear. I hope they didn't get away with much. A big scam I hear that they are doing now is just smashing the back window, opening the hatch, and stealing the 3rd row seat... an easy $500.00 for about 5 minutes of work.

Quick Reply: breaking and entering yukons/suburbans/tahoes,etc...