Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

BUILD(sort of) Not sure where to post this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BUILD(sort of) Not sure where to post this?

Mods, if this is the wrong place please move it or let me know.

I currently have an 08 CCSB 5.3 4L60E. its my work truck and it gets beat on everyday, its got 65,000 miles. in a few months i will be getting my 05 Cobalt running again and will be using it for work instead(way better gas mileage & i drive ALOT). Around the end of the year is probably when i will be trading the HEAVY CC in for a LIGHTER RC. i figure the end of the year is when they really pile on the incentives and hopefully i can get a decent deal.

SOOOOO my questions to anybody and everybody is :
1. Long Bed or Short Bed?
2. 4 speed or 6 speed?
3. 5.3 or 6.0
4. 1500 or 2500HD
5. is the 6.0 in the HD the 370 in everones builds that i read?

i really love the way the HD's look all Beefy & Mean, and i can only get a 6.0 in the HD, but it also only comes in a Long Bed. Ive heard from people that the long beds dont get traction for nothin?

from what ive read the 5.3 has way more mods available, but the 6.0 has that low end grunt and power, and i would think you could get more out of a 6.0 for the simple fact theres no placement for displacement?

whatever i get it will get a CAI, S/C or Turbo, a nice Boost Cam, LT's, Full Exhaust, a Wheatly Tune, Shift Kit, and Stall probly for starters off the bat. any suggestions on the truck or mods will be greatly appreciated, i really dont know much except for what ive read on here for the last few months so im trying to learn.

Also unfortunately i dont have the tools, knowledge or the space to do any of this, soooooo i guess i will have to rely on shops which i REALLY HATE after hearing horror stories on here. So if yall could recommend any reputable shops around Houston or really the TX or LA area that would be AWESOME! Im thinking FASTLANE could do everything but damn all the $$$ for a top notch shop.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USMC45
1. Long Bed or Short Bed?
2. 4 speed or 6 speed?
3. 5.3 or 6.0
4. 1500 or 2500HD
5. is the 6.0 in the HD the 370 in everones builds that i read?

i can only get a 6.0 in the HD, but it also only comes in a Long Bed. Ive heard from people that the long beds dont get traction for nothin?

from what ive read the 5.3 has way more mods available, but the 6.0 has that low end grunt and power, and i would think you could get more out of a 6.0 for the simple fact theres no placement for displacement?

whatever i get it will get a CAI, S/C or Turbo, a nice Boost Cam, LT's, Full Exhaust, a Wheatly Tune, Shift Kit, and Stall probly for starters off the bat. any suggestions on the truck or mods will be greatly appreciated, i really dont know much except for what ive read on here for the last few months so im trying to learn.

Also unfortunately i dont have the tools, knowledge or the space to do any of this, soooooo i guess i will have to rely on shops which i REALLY HATE after hearing horror stories on here. So if yall could recommend any reputable shops around Houston or really the TX or LA area that would be AWESOME! Im thinking FASTLANE could do everything but damn all the $$$ for a top notch shop.
If you're beatin on it everyday, u certainly like power. You sound like a RC is what u want, since it says so & ya never mentioned EC. IDK your needs, so I'm goin off your post. That said...

A RCSB is lightest. A RCLB is u haul big stuff, drywall, bla bla. Since the Cobalt gets mileage, sounds like u can mod the daylights out of a truck.

The stock 6L is 364. 370 is a worked piece, based on it tho.

HD's are heavy, thirsty, & therefore slow. I don't care what anyone who has 1 says, I'm not bashing, it just takes more to run w/. lighter stuff. Don't worry on it havin a 6L, those can be swapped.

Traction in a RC? It has less wtg. out back than a long bed. I say a RC traction will be worse. There's a fix, either way.

No replacement for displacement is the phrase that pays.

Ask around & on here on trust-worthy shops. Never can be too careful there. Good luck & welcome!

Last edited by fastnblu; 07-07-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok fastnblu, I forgot to mention that once I get the Cobalt back running again & I get this next truck it will never be for work. Ill still probly drive it every day almost just to have fun after work or if I'm goin out. But its only gonna be my Hot Rod for cruisin, occasionally the track I suppose but I'm not really tryin to set speed records. I just want it to be a BEAST & not get TOOK by a damn Tundra or GT Mudstain, I want it to be able to have a fightin chance against 95% of what I see at a redlight.

And YES I LIKE POWER!

So in your opinion an HD would be the wrong decision if I'm looking for fast & light correct? Also about the 6L, I meen if I'm gonna be buyin a New Truck I figured I would just use what's in it. If I swapped it right away before puttin any miles on it could I get a decent amount of $ back for like a Core Swap or something if I bought a Beefed Up 6L from somewhere?