Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Burned up Yank ?? - pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burned up Yank ?? - pics

First off, this is not mine. Saw an 80e 3600 for sale, and this is what I was sent. Owner/seller claims that it drove to the trans shop when pulled with no issues.

First glance it looks like its from a 60e. 80e's usually have the 6 bolt pattern.

I know that Yank paints their converters with heat sensitive color changing paint, but I have yet to see one that has turned black. . . . guessing that it's from WOT lockups

Old 08-18-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered an 80e 3600 from them and specified 3 pad ls1 pattern and was sent a 6 pad w/ 2 different bolt patterns... Could be either I think

I would say you are correct on the WOT lockup.. This is what I have been trying to pound into jake's head about locking a single disc at wot. lol
Old 08-18-2010, 11:45 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that Roger's (AKLowrider's) Yank was starting to show signs of heating up also, definitely related to the lockup clutch IMO
Old 08-18-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

im no expert, but then again it doesnt take one to figure out this thing looks like it has been blowtorched
Old 08-18-2010, 12:07 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, that's what a damaged converter clutch looks like from the outside. I locked mine at WOT, since others claim higher mph. Well, after 5 or 6 pulls, I smoked the 3-4 clutches. This is what I saw when I pulled the transmission.

So I e-mailed Dave at Yank, and asked him about my situation. This was his response.

Roger that means the converter clutch has been locked up under power and is damaged when it starts to slip it will get hot and change the paint color. That is why we run that paint so we can see if the converter clutch has been abused under power without cutting it open. The converter will need to be sent in for a cut-clean and the clutch replaced. The will run you 225.00 plus shipping.

Dave Myers

Yank Converters

775-826-9955

The converter was working perfectly when removed, however I didn't want trouble down the road. So I sent him the converter, he repaired it and sent it back. He turned it around very quickly for me, which I appreciate.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah, that verter is F'd. depending on how cheap he is willing to let it go for (cheap enough to be able to buy it and get rebuilt by Yank for considerably less than a new one) id say pass on it.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Alright, so im kind of confused. Doesnt Yank rate their converters for WOT lockup?

If so why would you need to pay to get it cleaned out/rebuilt? Sounds like a defective product if you are within the power limits they set for that converter.

AKlowrider id be pissed if i was you.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:45 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bluchev
Alright, so im kind of confused. Doesnt Yank rate their converters for WOT lockup?

If so why would you need to pay to get it cleaned out/rebuilt? Sounds like a defective product if you are within the power limits they set for that converter.

AKlowrider id be pissed if i was you.
Yank recommends DO NOT lock up the converter clutch under WOT. Circle-D "Dares you to break it", advertising that you CAN lock up the converter, but only on their multi-disc setup.

I tried it anyway, others said they had done it without problems. Therefore I'm not pissed at all, it's just the way things go for me sometimes.

The damage done to the OP converter is from abuse, not due to defect.

Obviously others have tried it (see the OP pics......). Maybe they just didn't know that they have damaged the lockup clutch? I guess I could see that on a track only vehicle that just sees WOT and isn't street driven much.

I could've sold my Yank, and switched brands. But I didn't. I watched some Circle-D vids and decided that they were way too loose for my daily driving & towing needs. This thing works exactly like advertised. City driving(stop & go) doesn't wind my engine way up, and doesn't heat my transmission fluid way up. My city fuel mileage didn't suffer much with the Yank. Towing with the Yank is also great. Put the hammer down, and it flashes just like it's supposed to. Shift extensions are great!

My next build will also use a Yank.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how exactly do you make the thing lock up at WOT? i need to make sure i dont accidently do that lol
Old 08-18-2010, 08:43 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Yes, that's what a damaged converter clutch looks like from the outside. I locked mine at WOT, since others claim higher mph. Well, after 5 or 6 pulls, I smoked the 3-4 clutches. This is what I saw when I pulled the transmission.

Looks familiar. Could be related to this stock 80E tune table which I found after the fact- had to scroll down to the bottom to see it on my notebook. Wasn't paying attention to the graph up top, which is also pretty small on the notebook. Initially flipped through the tables when I did the segment swap and saw no TCC lockup in 2nd and said I'm good to go - NOT!

In Tootall's pic it looks like the area may have been painted over. Mine looked like Roger's, just a little more fried. Can't see the hub, but if it is for an 80E there will be 2 flats instead of 2 notches on the hub. The long snout/3 lug could be an 80E converter built to bolt up to a 60E flexplate.
Attached Thumbnails Burned up Yank ?? - pics-tcc-apply.jpg  

Last edited by DrX; 08-18-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Burned up Yank ?? - pics