Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

buyer beware

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts
Default buyer beware

Ever since I put on my stainless works headers and y-pipe my truck has been running pretty poor, misfiring, throwing codes,overall lack of power. I changed wires, plugs and coil ans still bad. I figure it is in the tune and set up an appointment with my local guy. They pin my crank and put it on the dyno for a test pull. The shop calls me and asked what the hell i did to my truck as it dynoed over 100 hp less than the last tune. I assuredhim it was only the exhaust swap. He said they would have to do some diagnostics to find out the issue. I feared the worst and thought maybe with all the misfiring I had burnt a piston. They call back two hrs later to confirm that the drivers side exhaust is almost completely blocked, and there is some obstrucktion. I come pick up the truck and take it home and put it up on jacks and proceed to tear out the exhaust . I pull off the drivers side almost brand new stainless works converter and the ************ is completely hollow !! I pull off the pipe just behind the converter and out falls this mass of metal that resembles a squashed beer can. I am like holy ****!!! I begin to wonder what the other side looks like, so I take that sid apart and guess what?? totally empty . That is where it feeds into the y-pipe so I check there and found nothing. I look farther down the pipe and realize, ****, it's in the muffler. I am gonna take it to the shop and cut the muffler off to check for an obstruction. Stainless told me these metal matrix converters were the best and would work well in my supercharged application. My guess is they did not last the first day as my truck ran like total **** from that day foreward. buyer beware. The headers are great but for $293 a converter I will never buy another product from them again.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch, sorry about your luck. That's the first that I've read about their convertors failing.

Have you figured out what you're going to replace them with?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks, glad you didnt damage anything else.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

Just replace those damn things with magnaflow, random tech, or pipe. I would sure let stainless works know about it. They should at least reimburse you for the Y pipe.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't feel too bad; I melted the converters on my Dynotech's as well. Not to the degree you did, but melted never the less. I only lost one and then gutted them. I preferred the quietness of the converter's, but would rather loose the cats than a motor. Running as rich as we do on these supercharged motors wreck havoc on the converters.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

I just left them that way. It isn't really too much louder. I plan on doing a true duel set up next year so not really sure what route I want to go.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

run no cats
Old 10-24-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Leroy_454
Just replace those damn things with magnaflow, random tech, or pipe. I would sure let stainless works know about it. They should at least reimburse you for the Y pipe.
Once you do true duals, run Magnaflow converters, their cheap and work well.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would take some pics of that stuff, and send it to Stainless Works, then call them. Maybe they will help rectify the problem. When I recieved my Stainless Works system, I noticed they had sent the wrong size clamps. I called them, and without a second question, they sent a complete set of the correct clamps, and didn't even want the other ones back! I had a few small issues during the install, and they were extremly helpful, then, too.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:15 AM
something else

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SBTork
Once you do true duals, run Magnaflow converters, their cheap and work well.

+1 on that. I love mine.

$293 a converter??????? I could of gottin 8 ($75 each) Magnaflow converter for the price of 2 of your converters.

Quick Reply: buyer beware